What should I do if I disagree with my ex regarding my childs schooling? 2 Answers as of August 10, 2011

My 14 yr. old daughter wants to be home schooled. We have joint custody, she visits him every other weekend. He won't allow her to home school unless she spends significantly more time with him. She doesn't want to agree to this 'deal'. She has a GAL. Can she ask that Mom have either sole custody or can she ask that Mom have sole rights to educational issues. She is very bright and is being held back by the pace of the public school system. What can she/we do? I realize that in general the courts do not favor home schooling. This is something she has been pushing for for the last couple of years. I am trying to support her as she is an A+ student and deserves to try home schooling to see how she likes it. We are in CT.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
Since ou have a GAL, the question should be posed to that attorney. If there is disagreement, you should try to mediate a solution before resorting to the courts and the GAL can help in that regard. You can also approach the school with your issue of not challenging her enough and seek enrichment opportunities.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/10/2011
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
This is something to be discussed with the GAL
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: