What should I do if I didn't commit the crime? 13 Answers as of April 23, 2013

The house I nanny for was robbed. I quit the week before and lied to her saying I had to get surgery because I didn't have the heart not to just show up. I decided I wanted to go back so I called her that morning her house was robbed asking if she needed someone that day. Her answer was no. I get a phone call the next day from the lady I nanny for saying she was robbed. Then detectives are at my door asking me if I did it. I told them the truth, no. He asked why I lied about the surgery and I said I didn't want to up and quit and didn't know what to say to her. I never lied to the police. He said it was fishy that I called her the day her house was robbed and that the person who did it knew the code, which I know.

Same question. You need to retain an attorney.
Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
You need to hire a lawyer. Everything you say will be used against you. This is not the time to be cheap - burglary is a felon. Protect your rights. Innocent people ARE charged (and sometimes convicted) of crimes very often.
You need to hire a lawyer before you make more mistakes that will eventually seal your fate. Ever heard of the right to remain silent? You had no business opening your mouth to the police, who will twist every single word out of your mouth to fit the crime.
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
Didn't you already ask this? Stop talking to the police and hire a lawyer.
You may need to hire a lawyer to represent you in this case, as the officer said to you, it sounds fishy, and there probably could be probable cause to charge you with the crime. You should stick to your story, and bring a lawyer with you if the police wish to discuss the matter further. Of course, your ex-employer will have to prove to the police that she actually was robbed, with proof of ownership in allegedly stolen items.
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
    You do not have an obligation to make any statement to the police or answer any of their questions. The best bet would be to have an attorney present if you are asked to answer any further questions. If the police believe that you are responsible for committing the crime they will arrest you and move forward with a criminal case against you. But, if you have not yet been arrested or charged with any crime, then at the moment you are only considered a "suspect" and not a "defendant."
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    You should retain legal counsel. That is the only sensible thing for you to do. And you should not speak to law enforcement without your legal counsel. There is no other solution.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    At this time, you have not been charged with a crime. The police are investigating the facts. If you are charged with a crime, you will have an opportunity to defend yourself. At your first hearing, the Judge will decide whether you can afford your own attorney or whether one must be appointed to represent you. You will have a chance to discuss your case with the attorney who will then attempt to defend you by discussing the case with the prosecutor and maybe the charges get dismissed or you will accept a plea that is tolerable or you will go to trial and have your case heard before a jury. Right now, there is nothing that you can do and just allow the process to work itself out.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Stop answering any questions of the police. It can only hurt you at this point. If they insist on speaking with you, get a lawyer.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Do nothing since you did nothing.
    Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
    Sounds like they think you were involved somehow, by either committing the crime or giving the code to the person who did the crime; I would not speak to them in the future without having an attorney present; If they think that you were involved and have probable cause, they are going to charge you anyway;
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    See my essay to Criminal Suspects.