What should I do if I cannot afford an attorney in my divorce case? Posted on February 11, 2011

I have been going through a divorce for 4 years. I have been making the mortgage payments and paying towards back property taxes. We came up with an agreement and he refused to sign it, there was an equitable distribution hearing scheduled. My attorney withdrew from my case and I still owe him money. Another hearing is scheduled for 10 days. The agreement was for him to take over the house and the kids and I move out. I cannot afford to pay the house and want to leave and I also cannot afford another attorney because I have already paid $10,000. What should I do? I was considering just waiting for the hearing and represent myself because I am sure another lawyer wont help me because I still owe money to my previous one but I am very scared. I was thinking of trying to push the date of the hearing back so I can quick move out, or I could try and file chapter 7 if that would help, or I can just represent myself at the hearing and lose. I cannot wait any longer, I want out of this house and I want to not have to deal with him another minute. The house is way far in back taxes and he hasn't been paying a dime. I am a nervous wreck and don't know what to do, help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: