What should I do if I am a plaintiff in an auto accident case? 4 Answers as of February 07, 2011

I'm actually the defendant. December of 2008 while driving, the car in front of me suddenly stopped. I ended up hitting that car. At that time no obvious injuries were present he even decline being sent to the hospital. That accident is very minor just a minor scratch and dent on his rear bumper so the police officer just made an accident report and of course wrote me a citation because I hit the vehicle. And on February 6, 2011 I received a summons to appear in court because the guy that I hit demanded $50,000 for his medical bills and pain and suffering. Is my insurance supposed to deal with this?

Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
Turn the paperwork over to your insurance carrier. They will defend you.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
Yes contact them immediately when you are served and they will defend your interests.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
Yes. Notify your auto insurance company and provide them with a copy of the complaint and summons with which you were served. Your auto insurance will provide you with counsel and indemnify you up to the limits of your policy.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C. | David Scriven-Young
You should call your insurance company and let them know that you have been sued. Assuming your insurance company accepts coverage, the insurance company will hire an attorney on your behalf to defend you. If your insurance company does not hire an attorney, then you should hire your own attorney to defend you. Don't assume that your insurance company will take care of this. The plaintiff is suing you personally, and you must file an answer (or motion to dismiss) before the date stated in the summons. If you don't file an answer or motion on or before that date, the plaintiff will obtain a default judgment against you. My firm has experience in these kinds of cases and would be glad to speak with you on a confidential basis.