What should I do if I am being sued for a personal injury in Florida? 5 Answers as of February 21, 2012

Dog scratched neighbors kids back. they went after home owners insurance which does not cover that. Just got a letter asking for 5k to settle this. The guy didn't even take kid to doctor. What do I do with this letter?

Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
You can either try to resolve case on your own or do nothing and see if he bothers to file lawsuit. not many attorneys would take case.
David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
Hire an attorney to represent you or pay the money because it will cost more in the long run to pay an attorney to defend you even if you win.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
You will need a lawyer to defend the matter but if there is no insurance coverage, I know of no lawyer who would sue you.
I would consult with a lawyer to find out why your homeowners' insurance didn't cover it, because unless there is a specific exclusion in your policy, your homeowner's insurance should cover it. You should probably be able to get a free opinion from a lawyer, because if your insurance wrongfully denied coverage for you, if that lawyer has to file a declaratory judgment action against your insurance company to get that coverage, they have to pay your lawyer his fee.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
You have no obligation to do anything with the letter. If you believe that the case is frivolous, you can choose to defend yourself in court or hire a lawyer to defend you if you are sued. People generally settle cases to avoid the time and expense of litigation, especially if they fear that they could lose the case. If you think there may be some merit to the case and you want to avoid the possibility of being sued and maybe losing at trial, you could offer to pay medical expenses (if there aren't any, that would tend to support your view that damages are negligible), or make another counter offer. If you negotiate a settlement, you want to make sure you get a writing from the interested parties releasing you from any claims, known or unknown. You may also want to consider consulting a lawyer about your homeowners insurance. Many polices do provide coverage for dog bites which includes hiring a lawyer to represent you if you are sued. A lawyer could fairly quickly determine whether your insurance company is just trying to avoid honoring its obligations. Good luck.