What should I do if I am being sued for an insurance company for an at fault auto accident? 5 Answers as of February 20, 2012

My 22 year old college student was involved in a car accident last fall and did not have insurance at that time. Received a ticket. The other person was ok, however the other person's insurance company is trying to sue my son for 25,000.00. My son has no money and goes to school and has college loans. One person told us to have him claim bankruptcy, which he doesn't even have the funds to even start that. He works 15 hours a week at minimum wage and goes to school full time. We received information in the mail that he need to send payment within 10 days.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
Bankruptcy is always a consideration, unless your son doesn't want to do that and wants to negotiate a payment schedule with them over years........
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Kirshner & Groff
Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
The worst case scenario is that they obtain a judgement against him . If he doesn't have any money they can't collect. They still may be able to get his license suspended. He can also file bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
Unless they file a lawsuit I doubt the insurance company will bother. If you were the owner of the car then I would recommend getting an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
I am assuming that the insurance company who paid was the insurer of the driver of the car struck by your son, and that it was a settlement, not a judgment. If so, then just because the insurance company decided to pay $25K to its insured, does not mean your son is automatically responsible. The insurance company could try to sue your son and it may do that (it has the right to), but it can't just unilaterally decide what your son owes. They would have to prove that the payment was reasonable and that the person really sustained injury or damage in that amount due to your son's negligence. If they take the trouble to file a lawsuit, unfortunately, your son will have to defend himself or decide whether he wants to try to resolve the claim through a settlement or payment plan. As a practical matter, the insurance company would probably take a lot less than the full $25K. Bankruptcy is also an option, and the fact that your son has little money may not be fatal to getting a bankruptcy going. Bankruptcy lawyers know how to work with people who have limited assets through payment plans and such. I should mention that if there is already any kind of court judgment against your son, this answer would be completely different. You cannot ignore a judgment and if it is valid, there are serious consequences if you don't work out a way to pay it.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/20/2012
Allen Murphy Law
Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
The problem is the insurance company can likely have his D/L suspended for the life of any unsatisfied judgment (in Florida). You can try to work out a payment plan or consider bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: