What should I do if I am being accused of sexual harassment? 35 Answers as of May 31, 2011

What should I do?

If you are being charged or accused of sexual harassment, you should keep your mouth shut and consult an attorney who specializes in these types of cases.
It depends on what is happening. If it is on a criminal court you need an attorney. You should know the charges at your arrangement. If its a job mater there should be a procedure for this within the company. If a personal matter Get a civil lawyer.
Hire an attorney, and do not say anything to any person except your attorney about the case.
If the matter is not being pursued by a law enforcement agency, you have no worry about criminal charges being lodged against you, however, if you are summed in court for a civil lawsuit or administrative hearing, you should contact an attorney who specializes in this type of cause of action.
Eliminate contact with the alleged victim to the extent possible. Do not be alone with the victim. Do not discuss the facts of the allegations with anyone other than your lawyer, or have your lawyer present if it is work related and your employer requires a statement. Stay well.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    Immediately contact an experienced sexual harassment lawyer. This is the only way you can truly evaluate your situation and make any decisions for yourself. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
    If you anticipate either criminal charges, or civil litigation, it is important that you retain an experienced lawyer to help you. Good luck.
    Exercise the 5th Amendment right to not talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. That includes on this or any other web site or public forum. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. Hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    David B. Sacks, P.A.
    David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
    That is a rather broad question, however, there is really not much you can do except hope the company investigates the charges and clears your name. If you are fired for being accused of sexual harassment, absent some extraordinarily special circumstances, the details of which I could not provide completely in this forum, there is no recourse for the accused except perhaps filing a defamation action against the accuser.
    You should not say anything to anyone and contact a lawyer. Whatever you say will be used against you.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    You should retain employment counsel if this is a civil accusation, and criminal counsel if this matter has been brought to the police. You need to do this forthwith. If you would like a no cost, no obligation phone consultation, we can be reached toll free.
    You should consult with an attorney to prevent you from damaging your defense.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    Hire a lawyer and keep your mouth shut! I can't say it better than that!
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    Dont make any statements to law enforcement. Talk privately to a good attorney.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    If you have been charged with a crime, you need a lawyer; it is that simple. Do not attempt to do this yourself. Do not talk with the Police. Remain silent. It is your right.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    Hire the best criminal defense attorney in your area that you can. Your attorney will be able to work with you to devise a strong defense against the charges you are facing and advise you how to plead in court. Because sexual harassment charges can carry very significant penalties, it is very important that you not attempt to handle this case on your own.
    Harrison & Harrison
    Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
    Do what anyone accused of a crime should do; deny doing anything wrong, talk to no one about the case, and retain legal counsel as soon as humanly possible.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    You should contact an employment lawyer or union representative. Sexual harassment allegations can turn into serious matters even criminal cases. Do not try to handle it without help of experienced counsel.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    If you are being accused of sexual harassment, you should hire an attorney to consult with and that attorney will be able to help you with what to expect and can get more details from you so that they would be able to answer all of your additional questions. Find an experienced attorney such as myself with great client reviews on my website for more information.
    Thank you for your inquiry. First, if you believe you are being accused of a criminal offense, you should not speak with law enforcement without consulting with legal counsel. you should consult with counsel as soon as possible.
    First, what is the basis for the accusation? Are there any facts to support it? I would not make any comment to anyone until I fully understood what was being said i did. Then, it would probably be a good idea to seek legal advise.
    Hire a lawyer immediately and fight it - even if there is something to the charges. Fight it strenuously because many times these things will work themselves out if a strong defense is mounted.Speak to an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Good luck.
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    Consult with a lawyer in your area now. Don't make any other statements, don't offer any apologies, and don't threaten or make excuses. Just get to a lawyer. You could be facing termination from your job and possible monetary damages. Your employer could also be sued. And, if you own your own business, you are a target indeed. Lawyer up.
    If you are charged with any crime you should retain an experienced criminal attorney who knows the police, DA, and judges in your community. If you are indigent an attorney will be appointed to represent you. You should try to get a job since the probation department will often recommend a sentence of probation instead of a jail term for defendants who are working and have no prior criminal record.
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
    Consult with an attorney.
    If there is a criminal case or some kind of restraining order issue coming up, you should consult with an attorney in your area to discuss the case in further detail, defenses, and a proactive approach to the case.
    You need to speak to an employment attorney - this is not a criminal matter unless you arrested.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    Don't talk to the police or anyone else. Seriously, don't talk to anyone at all. Avoid any contact with the alleged victim. If you can afford to hire an attorney, do so. If you can't, the court will appoint counsel. Show up for your court appearances, and, if you are arrested and released, abide by the conditions. And don't talk to the police or anyone else.
    You should hire an attorney. Do not make any statements to the police without first speaking to an attorney.
    There is nothing to do. You can sit down with an experienced attorney and learn some techniques on how to protect yourself, like never closing a door or meeting alone after hours. Other than techniques to minimize alone time, there is nothing to do. I would be curious to know who is accusing you. See my website.
    If you have been charged with a crime associated with sexual harassment, you should contact an attorney to represent you. If you are in a business where there is a human resources department, you may consider meeting with them to discuss the claim so that risk management can be contacted. I hope that this was helpful.
    First of all, don't talk to anyone or give any statements to anyone without consulting with an attorney first. Remember, you never have to talk to the police. If charges are pressed, you need to retain an experienced criminal attorney immediately.
    Hire a lawyer before you incriminate yourself more.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney