What should I do if a girl is accusing me of rape? 12 Answers as of February 27, 2013

This girl is saying I raped her. I DID NOT. She was a little drunk, but we both were. Now she's saying I raped her! I don't know if she's gone to the police but I'm really worried I'll get in trouble for something I didn't do. I've heard she accused another guy of it a few years ago.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Do not say or write anything about it, because it might be used in evidence against you. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecutions case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 2/27/2013
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Do not talk to her or have any contact about this incident. If questioned, exercise right to be silent and an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/24/2013
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
You should call an attorney and tell him exactly what happened. You should not talk to anyone about this, especially the police. I would avoid this girl and just hope she is just trying to punish you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/20/2013
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
The best advice is to not speak to anyone with details about the matter and do not agree to speak to the police without first consulting with a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/20/2013
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
Hire a lawyer ASAP.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 2/20/2013
    Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
    If asked to speak with the police, I would advise you to respectfully refuse answering any questions about the incident, as police can trick you into admitting to something you did not do. The best advice is to retain counsel to appear with you, so that your side of the story is presented clearly and concisely.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/20/2013
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Exercise your right to remain silent and speak only to an attorney. The moment you open your mouth, you will have sealed your own fate. Remember, no matter what you say, it will be twisted around to be used as evidence against you. Why do you think we have the right to remain silent?
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/20/2013
    Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh
    Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh | James Elliot McIntosh
    In CA, you can be charged with rape by intoxication meaning you took advantage of someone who could not resist because their ability was diminished by an intoxicant. So, it is pretty stupid of you to be stating you were both a little drunk. A little drunk will get you a little sober in a state prison. Did you ever hear of the 5th amendment?
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/20/2013
    Toivonen Law Office | John Toivonen
    Criminal sexual contact in the first degree is a serious crime and can result in a prison term of life. The facts will tell us what degree of sexual contact would be the charge, but the accused can face years in prison. You need to hire an attorney. Do not discuss this case with anyone but your attorney. Your attorney will let you know if you should discuss this case with anyone. If you feel tempted to discuss this with someone who has not been cleared by your attorney, ask yourself how do you think you will enjoy spending years in prison.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    You are facing 30 years IF the prosecutor pursues it.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    Get a good, local attorney and keep your mouth shut. Don't talk to anyone about it, even her. Don't discuss details online, either. You don't know who reads these message boards.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Save every form of communication you have with her: every text message, every email, every facebook message. Absolutely everything. Print them and lock them. Then hire a lawyer to help you defend them. Do not talk to the police without your lawyer present.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 2/19/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney