What should I do if a dog bit my son? How? 20 Answers as of June 23, 2015

My son was walking home yesterday and apparently one of the neighbor's dog bit him. The bite is pretty bad and deep. I do not think this dog should be allowed around but the neighbors said that the dog is a guard dog and my son must have started the fight. I do not believe that is right to have any animal attack a teenager. What should I do? Is this an insurance issue or can something more be done?

You could go to small claims court and seek damages for the medical care and for your son's pain and suffering. But that is not generally a good first step. It may be something your neighbour will refer to his insurance company, but that does not preclude a lawsuit although it would be best to draft a demand letter to your neighbour, setting forth all the facts and costs, and asking him to notify his insurer. If you get no satisfaction from that course, then you might want to sue. Does your municipality have an ordinance against letting dogs run loose? Good Luck.
Get a lawyer.
There is some confustion here: "apparantly" one of the neighbor's dog bit him? Were there witnesses? How bad is "pretty bad"? Stitches? Skin grafts? You describe this as a "fight" and an "attack". Which was it? Go ahead and consult a local personal injury lawyer, consultations are free and you can get some guidance on how best to pursue.
End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
I think you should hire a lawyer to represent your son's interests. Your son should be compensated for his injuries.
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
Hire a lawyer.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Michigan has a ?strict liability? dog bite statute, meaning that owners are liable for their dogs? bites, period. There?s no need to show prior knowledge of the dog?s vicious propensities, or that the ?bitee? didn?t provoke the dog. If the dog bites, the owners are liable, period. That said, this will probably have to be pursued through a lawsuit, because insurance companies don?t get reasonable unless people are represented by lawyers, and typically after lawsuits are filed.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should call the dog warden to investigate the owner and dog. You should get a lawyer to assist you in getting a proper recovery for your son. If the dog owner has homeowners coverage they will step in to resolve the claim. In Connecticut a dog bite is a strict liability claim if your son was not teasing or tormenting the dog. A lawyer can help you properly build the case and maximize your son's recovery. If you are in Connecticut please feel free to call me for a free consultation
    You need to get the facts as to what happened. ?Guard dogs should be confined to a particular property; was your son on that property without permission? ?Was the dog chained or the area fenced? ?If the dog acted incorrectly, you can make a report to animal control. ?Does the owner of the dog have any insurance; if they are a renter and the building owner did not know of the dog, then it will probably be very difficult to collect anything.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    The dog owner is strictly liable for the injury and must pay for medical expenses, and damages for pain, suffering and inconvenience. You can try to resolve on your own or hire an attorney
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    You should contact the local animal control. You should also contact a personal injury attorney the owners are definitely responsible for the damages the animal caused to your son.
    It is an insurance issue, but you could also call animal control if you wanted to.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You should contact a Georgia personal injury attorney. Facts are very important in these types of claims. Also, there city and county ordinances which may or may not be helpful. Your son needs to obtain the medical treatment he needs and you need to speak with an attorney quickly. Good luck.
    First, you need to report the matter to animal control. Then you need to file a claim against the owner's home insurance company. Otherwise, you will need to sue him. Which in all event you will have to due to the injury received.
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Call the police, and then call a lawyer. Did you get him medical attention.
    The dog owners are responsible. Ask if they have a homeowner's policy that includes liability coverage.
    Talk to an attorney as soon as possible. Go to hospital.
    For the owner to be liable, you would have to show that the owner was on notice of the vicious propensity of the dog. Alabama has I one bite rule. The dog gets one "free" bite, after which, the owner is on notice of the vicious propensity of the animal. If the dog bites again there could be liability. Good luck.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    There are personal injury lawyers who handle dog bite cases. Let me know if you need a referral in your area.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    IMMEDIATELY call the Animal Control officer at the city or county government. The dog must be impounded immediately. Potential rabies infection means the dog must be caged or your son will have to endure long painful injections on the assumption he may have contracted rabies. Take some pictures of the bite for late use if your case needs a lawsuit. Call a lawyer and share the pictures you have.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    To answer your question about what the options are with regard to the dog, can you describe what your son's injuries were and the medical treatment that he had?