What should I do if contacted by a debt collection agency? 9 Answers as of March 22, 2011

I had a debt collection agency send a letter to my father with information on my debt, not just looking for me, but all the information. And they have also left a voice mail on my assistant's phone with details that I owe a debt. I have never given them my father's information.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
These may be violations of the FDCPA and you should contact an attorney qualified in this area ASAP.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 3/22/2011
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
I suggest that you call the debt collection agency and ask them not to speak to anyone else but you with regards to the debt. If you really owe the debt and you are able to pay it in full or settle it with payments arrangements that work for you, you may want to do that. If you are not able to pay the debt and if you have other debts that you are not able to pay, you can call me to see if you are a good candidate for bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/13/2011
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
It is a violation of the FDCPA to share information of a debt you owe to a third party, except to a spouse or your attorney. You may have a claim against the collection agency for the third party disclosures. Further, it is also a violation to leave a message on a voicemail or answering machine disclosing the fact that a debt is owed. You can likely settle between $1000 and $5000 depending on the violation.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/11/2011
Rhonda R. Werner Schultz, PL
Rhonda R. Werner Schultz, PL | Rhonda R. Werner Schultz
You should check out the Federal Trade Commission website, consumer information about the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and what is allowed at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/credit/debt.shtm. You probably have grounds to file a complaint against the creditor and may have a basis for a lawsuit against the creditor. You should consult with an attorney knowledgeable in this area of the law to see if a lawsuit would be appropriate.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 3/11/2011
Diefer Law Group, P.C.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
You can consider filing for bankruptcy. A creditor will do what it can in an effort to collect the debt.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/11/2011
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    They would have had to gotten it from some of your paper work or the internet.(facebook etc.) You can bankrupt the judgment or set up some type of payment plan. There might be a civil case depending on what they told father or co-worker.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 3/10/2011
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    Contact a lawyer who specializes in unfair debt collection. This is a good case.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: