What should I do if confronted with divorce in California? 7 Answers as of January 04, 2011

i have been married 10 years and she wants to divorce me without no real explanations. I do not have any income, what can I do? She forced me to quit the house to a temporary one witch is ours. I am very depressed and I do not really know what my rights are. I am French originally but I have been living in California since 1999. Can you tell me exactly what I can do first, what kind of attorney or lawyers should i talk to?

Saddleback Law Center
Saddleback Law Center | Paris Kalor
You should talk to a family law or divorce attorney and provide more details about your case and find out about your rights. Many family law or divorce attorneys provide free consultation.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
This is a very tough question to answer in an email. You need to be proactive and seek financial support. If there are children involved, you will also want to address the visitation issue immediately. I am happy to take your call free of charge. Also, one of my lawyers speaks French (Canadian) if that is of any comfort to you.
Call an experienced Family Law Attorney. You should be offered a free initial consultation (or go to someone who will offer a free initial consultation), at least, telephonically. You must respond within 30 days (file and serve your Response, a blank copy of which the law requires she served you with her Petition and Summons), or she can take a Default. If you have no income, things will get interesting. You obviously have property, so there will be partition issues, and asset and debt division. It could get sticky. You did not mention whether or not you have children. If so, it will be stickier, yet. You did not mention whether or not there was a court date pending (an Order to Show Cause). If so, you must file nine court days prior to the hearing, with an additional five days for mailing. There is much more to tell, so you should really call a competent and experienced attorney who practices in the County in which your

case will be heard. Also, use common sense. If the lawyer really practices bankruptcy law, then how good do you think they'll be at Family Law? Many attorneys will take any case that comes down the pike, just to make a buck. Look for someone who knows what they're doing. Also, Family Law cases are almost always billed hourly. You do not want to pay an Attorney to travel from a distant location to your jurisdiction, unless there is an agreement in writing regarding a discount for the travel time.
You need a family law attorney who can obtain spousal support for you and they will explain all of the rules to you concerning divorce.
You would best consult with a Family Law Attorney who is a Certified Family Law Specialist about your situation. You have important rights that need to be protected and remedies that need to be pursued, including Spousal Support and division of Community Property.
    You need to consult with a family law lawyer who is local to where you live now.

Please note that if your wife wants a divorce, and consequently, files a divorce petition with the court, there is nothing you can do to stop it. In other words, in California, it only takes one spouse to file for, and obtain a divorce. If the other spouse does not respond to the divorce petition, then the "petitioner" can proceed to finalize the divorce via "default."

Again, find a local family law lawyer near you that has lots of experience handling divorces, and that person can explain the divorce process in more detail, relative to the circumstances in your case. If you are local to me, feel free to call my office for a consult.

I would also suggest that you go online and do some reading about the California divorce process. There is much information online. Do a Google search for "California divorce." You can also find information on your local county court website. The more you self-educate, the more you save in
    attorney fees.
    This is a very complex questions. I would advice you speak with an attorney. If you are in southern California, feel free to contact us directly.