What should I do if cannot make collection bill payments? How? 10 Answers as of August 27, 2015

I have a collection agency, who claims also to be an attorneys practice, forcing me to make decisions about repayment without giving me time or reasonable repayment terms. Where can I go from here? I told them I could give them monthly payments, but that was not good enough for them. I am current on all of my other bills. Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
The only solution I offer is look into bankruptcy. If they have a judgement and try to garnishing your wages you can file documents in the state court to lower the amount they take. In California it is 25% of your gross wages. If they call too often or say horrible things see a lawyer about suing them. Write down the date and time of each call and what they say. This is important.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/27/2015
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You can file bankruptcy or if they are pressuring you then you may have a fdcpa lawsuit against them for harassment.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/26/2015
The Law Office of M Grater LLC
The Law Office of M Grater LLC | Mark O. Grater
Talk to a bankruptcy lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/26/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
When you overstate your case, indicating that a collector is FORCING ME TO MAKE DECISIONS, unless the creditor had a gun to your head, I sort of have to question whether anything you say as real. Why not look into credit counseling if your total debt, excluding car loan and mortgage, is less than $20,000. And stop with the hyperbole it does not play well with any legal or financial professional.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/26/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
A bankruptcy is worth considering. From the instant you file a petition in the bankruptcy court, virtually all creditors are prohibited from making any effort to collect from you. This is called the 'Automatic Stay.' In a Ch. 7 case yo would usually get your discharge in about 90 days. At that point, the relatively few creditors whose claims have not been discharged may resume collection efforts, but you may have very few of them. I strongly suggest you consult a capable BR lawyer in your locality. It's almost always worth the investment.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/26/2015
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    What you should do with a debt collector depends on whether you are dealing with a debt buyer or original creditor, the nature of the debt, whether it is provable, and whether there are defenses. Consult an attorney experienced in this field.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/26/2015
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    To stop the harassment, you can write them a letter telling them not to contact you anymore about the debt. This will force them either to drop it or they will file suit against you. If they sue you, then you have to decide whether it's worthwhile to file bankruptcy or to settle the debt. But all this takes a long time and you will have time to consult a lawyer if you do get sued.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Danville Law Group | Scott Jordan
    You should contact a local bankruptcy attorney for advice. You may not want to file for bankruptcy, but the lawyer can probably negotiate a more favorable payment option.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
    It sounds like you are a candidate to file bankruptcy. Speak with a local bankruptcy attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
    Talk to an attorney. Can't help with lack of information.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 8/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: