What should I do if cannot make collection bill payments? 12 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I have a colletion agency, who claims also to be an attorneys practice, forcing me to make decisions about repayment without giving me time or reasonable repayment terms. Where can I go from here. I told them I could give them monthly payments, but that was not good enough for them. I am current on all of my other bills. Please Help.

Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
You should speak with an attorney to find out if you qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. A Chapter 7 will wipe out your credit card debt so that you do not have to repay it and give you a fresh start with your finances. It will also put a stop to all collection activity and phone calls regarding your accounts.
You may want to consult with Consumer Credit Counselors. They are listed in the phone book.
Have you considered bankruptcy? If they are calling you frequently you should log the calls, write down what they say, note the date and time of every call. You may have a case against them under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Realistically, receiving some money is better than no money and having to chase someone for payments. You may want to try proposing your own payment plan and begin making payments clearly listing on the check that it is a payment based on the payment plan that you proposed.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
You should consult a qualified bankruptcy attorney in your area.
    Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
    My firm offers debt resolution and defense services. We provide free consultations if you are interested.
    Law Office of Asaph Abrams
    Law Office of Asaph Abrams | Asaph Abrams
    I don't wanna go off on a rant, but... Collection practices are intrinsically cutthroat. It's the nature of the beast. It's presumed that bad-cop/bad-cop routines work best for creditors; it's a cold, calculated business model & it's not personal. If you're beset by guilt trips and self-righteous insinuations, then bear in mind that collectors are employed by virtue of delinquency. They are not paid to care. Bankruptcy can often be the most swift & economical solution to sleepless nights and callous treatment.
    Law Office of Larry Webb
    Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
    You should consult with a Bankruptcy attorney. Collection agencies are a significant reason people are forced to seek bankruptcy. You say you are current on all your other bills. Several questions; how many bills do you have; are you making more than the minimum payment; at your present repayment budget how long will you take to repay all of your creditors? and do you have a cash reserve for emergencies or do you rely on credit? Many people are financially insolvent and don't realize it. There is natural tendency to hold on for a better day coming, however it may be a long ways off. If you have several bills, are making only minimum payments, have more than 3 years to pay off your credit and have no cash reserve for emergencies; you are bankrupt and need the protection of a bankruptcy filing to get control of your life.
    California's Largest Family of Attorneys
    California's Largest Family of Attorneys | Doan Law Firm
    If you're having serious trouble making minimum monthly payments, you may want to consult with a bankruptcy attorney who also manages creditor abuse cases. The initial consultation will give you a good guide for moving forward and is typically free.
    You have a couple of options. You can pay what you can. If they won't take it they will file suit. If they get a judgment you can bankrupt it. You can go ahead and bankrupt the debt. Unless the debt is rather large, I would not bankrupt over one small debt. Try to get a loan to pay off and make payments on loan. Try to get help from family and pay them back. Most attorneys are paid a percentage of what they recover. If they hear you might go bankrupt, they might cut you a deal.
    You can file for bankruptcy if you believe that it will otherwise help you. The threat of doing so may get them to work with you, however.
    You need to evaluate all your options so you can make an intelligent decision on how to proceed. The first thing you need to do is determine how at risk you are if you did nothing and allowed them to sue you and get a judgment. This obviously depends on what assets you have, your job type, income, and other factors. Then you can compare that to what you can accomplish by negotiating a payment plan with them. Once you find out the parameters there, you can compare that to the costs and benefits of filing a bankruptcy case. To assess all the above, you should schedule a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney.