What should I do if being sued by a credit card company? How? 15 Answers as of August 21, 2015

I am being sued by a credit card company and I got a summons. Do I need an attorney to answer and what should I do and what would it cost?

Yes you should either get an attorney to defend it or file a bankruptcy. The cost is specific to the attorney.
Why don't you consult with a bankruptcy attorney first? Unless you have a slam dunk defense to the state court case you are throwing your money away.
Meet with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. Most will only charge a nominal sum for an office meeting (any lawyer worth their salt). You may not have to file bankruptcy (I, of course, don't know without meeting with you).
Behren Law Firm
Behren Law Firm | Scott Behren
You can respond yourself if you are being sued personally, but would be better to hire a lawyer.
If you are being sued it would be wise for you to engage an attorney to assist in your defense. In such matters most attorneys charge by the hour, in my case $300 per hour and the amount the defense will cost shall depend on the amount of time consumed.
    Although having an attorney represent you in defending yourself in a lawsuit for a credit card debt would be useful, sheer economics prevent a lot of people from being able to hire an attorney. There is a self help center at the Clark County Courthouse that can provide you with information about filing an Answer to the lawsuit and asserting any defenses you may have.
    Eranthe Law Firm
    Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
    You should go see a local knowledgeable debt defense attorney ASAP. If you have a lot of other debt you may want to consider bankruptcy. You have 30 days so get some advice immediately.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    File for bankruptcy and get rid of them.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    Isn't the real question do you have a defense to it? You can hire an attorney, but what is he going to do if you don't have any valid defense to the debt? If you do, then great, but if not, I'd look more towards either settling this, or depending on what the rest of your financial circumstances are, filing bankruptcy.
    Freeman Law Group, LLC
    Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
    If you ignore the summons, the creditor will get a default judgment and will then be able to garnish wages, levy bank accounts, and otherwise make your life much less pleasant. If you don't want that to happen, your options are to either answer the summons and go to court on the date listed on the summons, or call up the attorney's office on the summons and see if you can negotiate a deal. If you disagree with the claims on the pleading, you should fight it. If you owe the debt, a settlement might be the better option. If you have a lot of debt in addition to this one, you might want to consider bankruptcy. A bankruptcy will get rid of all consumer debt, such as this credit card debt.
    You can most likely file a general denial which doesn't require much effort. Filing would be $435 unless you can get a waiver.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    You should consult an attorney, especially if the amount is more than a couple of thousand dollars. Send them all documents you have regarding the lawsuit and the debt. There should be no charge for consultation.
    Should you answer, yes. Do you need an attorney, no, but it would be a wise idea to at least consult one. What should you do, it depends on the amount of debt and if you have any other debts. More information would be required to provide advice. What would it cost, depends on where you are and whether you hire an attorney. Again, more information is required.
    Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
    Your choice.
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
    You should get an attorney to protect your rights. You can only get a price quote directly from attorney, not here. An attorney may find a claim against the credit card company. Maybe they owe you money.