What should I do if being investigated for theft? 9 Answers as of March 10, 2011

I was a cashier at a retail store in California. A co-worker and I were terminated for giving each other a bigger discount. We were terminated in January and no police were called. Yesterday I received a call from an investigator from the police department. The value was about three hundred dollars. What happens at this point?

Well, hopefully you haven't incriminated yourself already by speaking with the investigator. Hire an attorney immediately and have all communications directed through your attorney. And most of all, remain silent. Your attorney should be the only person you speak to at this point.
The ONLY specific advice you should expect to get from here or elsewhere is to exercise your 5th Amendment rights to SHUT UP, hire an attorney, and do NOT talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. You face charges that could put in jail/prison, and most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative'. There is no magic wand to make this go away. Unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict you, hire an attorney who does. If this is in SoCAL courts, and if youre serious about hiring counsel, feel free to contact me.
First, it is NOT what you do , it is what you DO NOT do. Do not talk to police. If he is going to arrest you he will do that whether or not you talk to him. His purpose is to get you to confess and, if possible, implicate you in larger scope of events and crimes. He will tell you he needs to to talk to you. (Not a basis) That he can help you , he just wants to know your side of the story. (5th Amendment ring a bell). Again, cop just wants you to convict yourself. No matter what he says, a fair amount will be to put psychological pressure on you to confess. Any attempt to explain why you thought the overly large discounts were acceptable or OK will be twisted to your detriment. 26 yrs of legal experience. You might want to hire an attorney as there are potential charges here in excess of simple theft.
Keep your mouth shut and hire a lawyer. Tell your friend to do the same thing.
Law Offices of Staycie R. Sena
Law Offices of Staycie R. Sena | Staycie R. Sena
You have a right to remain silent and you should exercise that right. Nothing you say can help you at this point.
    I would recommend hiring an attorney before discussing anything with an investigator as they may try to get you to say things that are damaging to your case. They may be trying to get more information for a couple of reasons. Perhaps to get more info from you in order to have evidence to press charges, or to get more info to build their case prior to charging you (but, getting charged may be inevitable). Regardless, I would recommend consulting an attorney in more detail about your case.
    It is your choice whether you speak to him at this point since you haven't been arrested. The safest route would be to retain an attorney to accompany you to the questioning and be your spokesperson with the police. Unfortunately, the police are not your friends even though they may act friendly. Anything you say can and will be used against you. Having an attorney on your side sends a certain message and causes the police to make sure they're acting legally.
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
    You should not say a word and contact an attorney now.