What should I do if an arrest warrant was wrongly served and I missed court? 2 Answers as of February 07, 2011

I no longer live at this address the courts served or sent the hearing date to, so I checked the system and it says I have a warrant. I have proof of address and that I left that location almost 2 years ago. If I call, can they give me a new hearing date?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Goolsby Law Office
Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
I would recommend that you retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to contact the prosecutor to see if the bench warrant can be lifted, or to file a motion with the court. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/7/2011
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You have a bench warrant for your arrest not an arrest warrant. You cannot call and get it rescheduled (but you should try and prove me wrong, so you can get arrested in the courtroom on the day you appear on the reschedule). No one cares about your proof about when you moved. Here is what I know: (1) whenever you moved you never bothered to keep the courts or the prosecutor's office apprised of your new address (I know you were soooo busy); and (2) you were not represented by an attorney with whom you stayed in contact. My clients never get a bench warrant because I call them and make sure they either appear in court or get excused.Conversely, many more folks on bond with open charges could care less about their case, until it is time to go to court. They change addresses every five minutes, and don't let anyone know anything. Then they cry about the bench warrant. Here are your options: (1) hire the right attorney (not the cheapest) and see if he can get you just appear in court and explain what occurred, and get the warrant recalled (if your attorney has no reputation for making sure clients appear in court, like I do, it will not work); or (2) wait to get arrested on the warrant, I wish you the best of luck,
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: