What should I do for my son in jail awaiting sentence in California do? 4 Answers as of November 30, 2010

My son has been in jail for a week now awaiting a court sentence in California, is appointed a lawyer but is yet to see him to discuss case. The boy is just 18 and has never been in trouble before. What should I do?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Retain a good lawyer right away. Your son should have been to court already. If a lawyer has not talked to him or appeared with him an opportunity to reduce bail or get him released wthout bail ( O.R. ) may have been missed. For more info or to retain our firm call.
If you really mean he is awaiting sentencing after trial and conviction, there is little to do other than obtain character witnesses to testify at the sentencing hearing.

If you actually mean he is arrested and charged with a crime, and is represented by the public defender, and is not happy with the reality that the PD has dozens of cases on calendar each day and is not there to provide the same personal attention that private counsel is paid to do, then hire him a private attorney that will do so. If serious about doing that, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses he may have. If he can't afford private counsel, then he has to make the best of it with the Public Defender.
If you cannot afford to hire a lawyer you are stuck with the court appointed attorney. Call him daily and insist that he go see your son. If he still does not, after your son is sentenced, write a letter to the State Bar of California complaining about his or her performance.Good luck.
Hire a lawyer immediately. Court-appointed lawyers will often plead the in-custody client guilty at the first opportunity, with very little discussion of the case and consequences of a guilty plea. Once a plea is entered, it may be too late to reverse.