What should I do for a first time possession charge in California? 2 Answers as of November 18, 2014

This weekend I visited some friends in Santa Barbara. We got drunk and I had 5 pills of Xanax (5 mgs) on me when I was arrested. I don't have an active prescription for the Xanax but I'm sure I could get one if needed. I'm only 18 with no prior offenses and I'm not one to do drugs. What should I do? I'm worried that the judge will try to teach me a lesson and give me some jail time. Again, I'm an 18 year old male with no prior offenses. What is likely to happen and what steps should I take in order to receive the smallest punishment? Thanks to anyone who helps!

You should hire a lawyer and get this relatively minor charge dismissed. By yourself you're going to get a criminal record, and it isn't worth it.
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
You need to be careful about saying too much on these non-private lines! It is a misdemeanor. It is probably defendable, but if not, you won?t get time. But you should get counsel and see if it can't be fought a drug possession conviction can affect you down the road, even if you don't get custody.