What should I do as the victim in a hit and run? 6 Answers as of February 21, 2012

I was in a hit & run in Florida. I only got 2 letters of plate, I have police report , I have PIP/ pd /Dec 1000. What can I do?

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
if you have uninsured motorist coverage, you can make a claim otherwise nothing.
David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
If you cannot identify who was driving the vehicle which fled the scene, the only real remedy you would have is if you carry uninsured motorist coverage. That coverage would then provide insurance from which you could make a claim.
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
You can use your PIP insurance for medical treatment. If you have uninsured motorist (UM) insurance on your own auto policy then you can sue your own policy.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you can recover from your own insurance company the same damages that you could recover from the hit-and-run driver if you knew who he was. Also, your PIP covers your medical expenses and lost wages up to the limits (usually $10k), without regard to fault.
First, report it to your own insurance company. Since you have PIP, you should seek medical treatment if you were injured in the accident. If you have uninsured motorist insurance on your car, your own insurance company will stand in the shoes of the vehicle which left the scene (referred to as a phantom vehicle) and will compensate you if you are injured.
    Law Offices of Joseph I. Lipsky, P.A.
    Law Offices of Joseph I. Lipsky, P.A. | Joseph Lipsky
    If the police are unable to assist you in locating the vehicle which fled, and you sustained personal injuries as a result of the car accident, you would be able to make a claim for uninsured motorist (UM) benefits, assuming your policy had UM. Otherwise, from the facts you provided, it would appear that your damages will not be compensated. Given the minimum insurance required by Florida Law, we strongly urge everyone to purchase UM coverage so they are protected in case they are in a situation similar to yours.