What should I do and what will happen if I cannot make the court date? 8 Answers as of August 17, 2013

I just received summons for criminal arraignment. It is scheduled for this Monday. Due to a fluke I just got the summons. This is a first time offense and I am willing to pay fines and restitution. I cannot make this court date due to prior plans. Can this be dismissed or settled out of court?

The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
If you do not go, the Judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest. You should go to the hearing or retain an attorney before Monday to go in your place.
No, you need to appear or, if it is a misdemeanor in California, hire an attorney immediately to appear on your behalf. If you fail to appear in court, the judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest.
You are charged with a criminal offense. Your appearance is not optional. When you fail to appear, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest. The case cannot be settled out of court, because it is not a civil case.
Contact the court clerk for a continuance. Keep in mind, there is nothing you can do that is more important than your court date.
Hurth, Sisk & Blakemore, LLP | W. Harold Flowers, Jr.
Go in today and explain the situation to the clerk. They may give you an alternative date, or begin the process today.
    The Law Office of Lynn Norton-Ramirez
    The Law Office of Lynn Norton-Ramirez | Lynn Norton-Ramirez
    Either hire a lawyer to appear for you or move the court date. Alternatively, call the court clerk and see if anything can be done.
    No if you do not go to court then they will issue a warrant for your arrest. A lawyer could get the matter delayed.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    Willing to pay fines, etc. So you are caving in and deciding to plead guilty instead of fight? Almost all cases can be fought to a better resolution than offered for a guilty plea, and a fought case might be won a pled case by definition has been lost. Was your letter from the court or from the DA? The DA cannot command people into court; the court, however, can. Can it be dismissed or settled out of court? Can what, your appearance or the case? If the latter, how would anyone know without working on it? If this is a misdemeanor, just go to court when you get back, put it on calendar, and get going with it. If it is a felony, I'd change my plans and be there.