What should I do after my first DUI? 6 Answers as of August 31, 2010

I was recently convicted of a driving under the influence. I am 24 and this was my very first run in with the law. I was pulled over for speeding 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. My blood alcohol content was at a .09. Do I need a lawyer to fight this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
At a .09%, you may have some options. Because the speed wasn't overly excessive (sober people speed too), and depending on the timing of things (time of your last drink, time of the stop, arrest and blood test) as well as retesting the blood, you may have ways to fight both the charges you will face. If nothing else, you may be able to reduce this to a wet reckless- or potentially a dry reckless- but it depends on the specific facts of your case.

If nothing else, take ad advantage of a free consultation from an attorney where hour case will be heard.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/31/2010
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
If you have already been convicted, the case is over. If you meant charged with, and now have to go to court, then it is up to you whether you need experienced counsel to represent you against a professional prosecutor who is seeking to convict and jail you. If you can effectively represent yourself in court hearings and plea bargaining negotiations with the DA, or at trial, then no. Most people chose to hire an attorney. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/30/2010
Steven Mandell
Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
You say you were recently CONVICTED of a DUI. If so, the fight is over and it is just a matter of fulfilling the terms and conditions of your probation and the DMV requirements. If you mean that you were recently ARRESTED for a DUI, then the answer is absolutely, you need a lawyer. You wouldn't be able to fight this without one. And a lawyer can do more good for a person with a .09 than for someone with a higher blood alcohol concentration. Also, if you were arrested in California, you have only 10 days from the arrest date to request a hearing at the DMV or you lose your right to that hearing and you give up valuable rights. By all means, talk to a lawyer experienced in DUI and DMV matters immediately. If your case is in Los Angeles, do not hesitate to contact me for a free consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/28/2010
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Yes a lawyer would give you a much better result in your situation. DUIs are complicated cases that needs competent experts to fight. Your attorney is the first of these experts. Contact me for your free consultation on this case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/28/2010
Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm
Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm | Aly Ebrahimzadeh
You definitely should contact an attorney to defend you asap. You can contact my office for a consult if you live in CA.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/27/2010
Click to View More Answers: