What should I do after getting a personal from being attacked by dogs? 32 Answers as of July 11, 2013

Three dogs surrounded me at my apartment complex and one attacked me twice. The apartment complex allowed her to have 3 dogs and they claimed they didn't know she had them, yet they require a deposit for pets. The police came and so did the ambulance. The puncture wounds are still bleeding and the hospital did not give me that great of care I don't think. I can't get this woman's address and everyone is protecting her. Is she legally responsible for paying my medical bills?

Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
Yes, she is, and the apartment complex may be responsible as well. You should talk to an attorney immediately so that you can begin gathering witness statements and begin tracking down this woman. If you need any help, please feel free to contact my office.
Jones, Boykin, & Associates, P.C.
Jones, Boykin, & Associates, P.C. | Noble L. Boykin, Jr.
In response to your question regarding being attacked by dogs, let me give you the following information. First of all, there are two potential claims, one against the dog owner and one against the apartment complex. The more straightforward claim is against the dog owner. If the dogs were "at large", that is unrestrained, and attacked you in a common area of the apartment complex then you would clearly have a claim against the owner of the dogs. If they have any homeowners insurance or general liability insurance that insurance should cover any damages. If they do not have liability insurance coverage there would still be a claim against them that could be pursued in court but collection of same would be more difficult if there is no insurance coverage to dip into. As to the apartment complex, whether you have a claim against that entity is a more difficult question. It would depend on the specific facts of the case. In order to hold the apartment complex liable, you would have to prove that the apartment complex either knew that the dogs were dangerous to the extent that one or more of them had attacked a person in the past or that they knew that the dogs were at large and did nothing to intervene and protect or warn its tenants. In short, you do have a claim against the woman who owns the dogs and she is legally responsible for paying medical bills and other damages including pain and suffering. As to the apartment complex, you may or may not have a claim against them depending on their knowledge in regard to these dogs being at large and their propensity for attack.
Law Offices of Earl K. Straight
Law Offices of Earl K. Straight | Earl K. Straight
She may have liability for your injuries, but one of the crucial issues is whether these dogs had ever attacked or bitten anyone before. If they had, then their owner would have actual knowledge that the dogs are dangerous, and would be liable for your injuries. The other issue is that she lives in an apartment. These types of claims are usually handled by a persons homeowners insurance. She may not have any insurance that would cover this situation, and thus it may be difficult collecting any money from her, even if you win your suit.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Yes, but you may also have a claim against the landlord see a lawyer.
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
Sorry to hear about your attack. She is definitely liable for your damages including payment of medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Civil Code 3342 is the statute that makes her liable. When you retain an attorney they will be able to get her address if apartment manager is protecting her.
    She is responsible for everything, and the apartment may be also. You can recover for scarring, pain and suffering and medical damages. Get attorney now. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    Only if you can prove the dogs are vicious breeds or had bitten before.
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
    Generally, if you are attacked by a dog, the dog owner will be held strickly liable for the injuries caused by the dog(s) and possibly liable for punitive damages. You may be able to obtain a copy of the police report which should contain her information. If you need any additional information, please feel free to send me an email and/or visit our website. I wish you the best of luck with your case. Thank you.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    Dog bite cases require an experienced injury attorney. I have several pages on my website about the issues in dog bite injury cases. The owner of the dogs may be responsible for your injuries under several theories. The complex owner may also bear some responsibility. This is important because the complex owner will have insurance whereas the dog owner may not have insurance or assets. To the extent that you are still suffering from your injuries, you should follow up with your doctor immediately. Good Luck.
    In NC if a dog has a vicious propensity (has misbehaved before) you can sue the owner. If the apt managers knew of the dogs reputation they should be held liable.
    If it happened in South Carolina, she is liable for any damages. Unfortunately, since she lives in an apartment, she is probably what we call "judgment proof", meaning you can probably get a judgment against her, but may have difficulty collecting. You are better off going after the apartment complex if you can show that it was negligent. This may not be easy. They are not liable just for allowing the tenant to have a pet. In my opinion, you would have to show that the apartment manager was on notice that the dogs are dangerous and failed to take any action to protect tenants.
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
    If her dogs attacked you then, yes, she is responsible for the damage and injury they cause. You also may have a claim against the apartment complex for allowing multiple dogs on site.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    You can sue the owner of the dogs, but she may not have any money to pay any judgment you obtain.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky
    The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky | Mark Kotlarsky
    Most likely. You should file a lawsuit.
    Potentially depending on the facts. Clay Rossi just had an article published in the May edition of the Alabama Lawyer magazine on the subject. Contact him for his opinion.
    If the dog had a propensity to bite and it was known beforehand, yes, she would be held liable for your injuries and your damages and medical costs. Speak to a negligence lawyer about it. Good luck.
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC | Andrew F. Garruto
    Yes, the dog's owner is responsible for the medical bills and any other damages.
    The Trial Law Offices of Bradley I. Kramer, M.D., Esq.
    The Trial Law Offices of Bradley I. Kramer, M.D., Esq. | Bradley Kramer
    She is not legally responsible for paying your medical bills until and unless you file a lawsuit against her (and win or settle the case), however, as a decent human being, she should absolutely pay them for you.
    yes, she is liable to you for damages. See a personal injury attorney
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    She is legally responsible for your medical bills and the property also may be liable for allowing a dangerous situation on their property. Call our office for consultation and we can help.
    Law Offices of Steven R. Kuhn & Associates
    Law Offices of Steven R. Kuhn & Associates | Steven R. Kuhn
    In California, the owner of a dog is responsible for any injuries caused by their dog biting someone. If the landlord knew or should have known that the tenant's dog was dangerous, they also may be liable. The damages you are entitled to include medical bills, loss of earnings and pain and suffering. Please feel fee to contact me for a free consultation.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    Yes the owner of the dog can be held liable for your medical expenses and for pain & suffering as well. Under certain circumstances the landlord may be held liable as well if there were prior incidents known to the landlord. Civil Code section 3342 provides: (a) The owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner's knowledge of such viciousness. A person is lawfully upon the private property of such owner within the meaning of this section when he is on such property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him by the laws of this state or by the laws or postal regulations of the United States, or when he is on such property upon the invitation, express or implied, of the owner. (b) Nothing in this section shall authorize the bringing of inaction pursuant to subdivision (a) against any governmental agency using a dog in military or police work if the bite or bites occurred while the dog was defending itself from an annoying, harassing, or provoking act, or assisting an employee of the agency in any of the following: (1) In the apprehension or holding of a suspect where the employee has a reasonable suspicion of the suspect's involvement in criminal activity. (2) In the investigation of a crime or possible crime. (3) In the execution of a warrant. (4) In the defense of a peace officer or another person. (c) Subdivision (b) shall not apply in any case where the victim of the bite or bites was not a party to, nor a participant in, nor suspected to be a party to or a participant in, the act or acts that prompted the use of the dog in the military or police work. (d) Subdivision (b) shall apply only where a governmental agency using a dog in military or police work has adopted a written policy on the necessary and appropriate use of a dog for the police or military work enumerated in subdivision (b).
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    Each state has its own laws about dog bites, but most states hold the owner responsible if the dogs are in a public place and they attack someone without provocation. Some states require a history of prior bites, but many do not. The apartment complex is also potentially responsible for allowing the dogs on the property. A personal injury attorney in your area should be willing to give you a free consultation to discuss the details of your case and the law in your area.
    Law Offices of Tom Patton
    Law Offices of Tom Patton | Thomas C. Patton
    In most cases, home owner's or renter's insurance will cover dog bite liability. If she was in an apartment, hopefully, she has renter's insurance. You may also be right in seeking to attach liability to the Apartment owner. You should seek a consultation with a personal injury lawyer in your state.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    Yes. She is legally responsible for paying your medical bills. You are also entitled to reasonable compensation for your pain and suffering. You should arrange for follow up medical care to make sure the wounds do not become infected. Also, the dogs should be quarantined by the local animal control agency.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    The building could be liable if they knew the dog had vicious propensities. You could be entitled to pain and suffering. Feel free to contact me.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    Call personal injury attorney. You can sue owner of dogs and maybe owner of complex.
    You have a claim.
    Allen Murphy Law
    Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
    yes...get the information from the apartment manager or file a police report.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney