What should I do after a domestic assault where I was not the aggressor? 6 Answers as of July 29, 2013

My father and I got into it. He stated that I kept coming at him in the police report and he put my arm behind my back and he went to the kitchen where I followed him and then he put me in a head lock which bloodied his lip. He told police that he did not know how it happened (his bloody lip). I said I surrender for it was life threatening. Then the police were called and they asked me how my dad bloodied his lip and told them that he was the aggressor and put me in a head lock. Then they told me I was under arrest. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Prosecutors will never drop charges just because the victim has had a change of heart/story. The fact is, in 95% of all DV cases the parties reconcile, and prosecutors are well aware of this. You need a good lawyer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/29/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Quit talking to the police, get a lawyer and fight the matter.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/29/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
Hire a good attorney to look into the case and represent you to the best of his ability. If you have any witnesses to co-oberate your version of the facts, be sure to provide your lawyer with this information, as well.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/29/2013
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
You really should hire an attorney. There are ways to get through this with both complaints dismissed but I would have to know more facts than you should be posting online. Essentially you should either both have complaints that then can be mutually dismissed. An attorney should be able to steer you through this.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 7/29/2013
Chambers Law Firm
Chambers Law Firm | Dan E. Chambers
You need to hire an attorney to represent you if you can afford it. This is a classic case of conflicting stories that requires you to have a good attorney protecting you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/29/2013
Click to View More Answers: