What should I do after being sued by a collections agency? How? 8 Answers as of June 22, 2015

I got summons for lawsuit from collections agency, but the amount of debt was wrong. I have on recording that both the collections agency and original creditor admitting that creditor admitted she gave me a different amount, but they are not changing the amount. Should I settle if they only promise to request a pay for delete(all thread lines deleted), but do not promise it will be done? Do I still need to send an answer to the summons to the court and prepare to go to court if we settle? Do I need a lawyer? How do they decide value of car to know if it is exempt from them putting a lien on it? Should I settle at all and if so before or at court or just take my chances at court? Do I still need to ask for verification of proof they own this debt and the license to practice?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
If you are sued be sure to file an answer unless you get it settled before the time runs to file the answer. You can ask for the settlement terms you wants. They may or may not agree to those terms. Typically they will send a counteroffer.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/22/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
After being sued you should file should file an answer and discovery to make them prove that you owe them the money. It's possible to do it yourself but much better to get a lawyer. This will avoid a default judgment and put pressure on them to settle. They can't delete the lawsuit from your credit report, only report that it was settled.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 6/22/2015
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
I would first suggest that you or an attorney prepare a responsive pleading most likely an Answer. You must be mindful that there is only a certain amount of time to do this. You also have the right to ask for validation and verification of the debt even though you have already been sued. With respect to settlement there are certain variables involved but in basic form it boils down to the creditor's willingness to settle, your willingness to settle and your ability to secure funding for the settlement. With respect to the value of the car I am unclear what you are asking but some states do have some sort of protection of assets against creditor claims. I would suggest that you research these matters or contact a consumer rights attorney in your area or a firm such as National Legal Center.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 6/22/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Is this site charging you by the question? You have a bunch of questions here that need more of a background than you have provided. If you have been sued for a debt, the smart thing to do is to file a formal written response with the court according to the court rules. Having an attorney represent you will make sure this is done correctly. An attorney representing you is much more likely to have the pull with the creditor's attorney to negotiate a fair settlement of this debt. Settlements are put into formal written form and are submitted to a judge for approval. People who just take their chances generally get their faces slapped because unless you know what you are doing & have the experience to do it correctly, you probably won't get it right. I remember learning to bake a cake from a recipe, trying to follow the directions, and having the cake taste terrible. My cakes taste a lot better now that I am older and have some experience.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/19/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Your questions strongly suggest you should consult an experienced lawyer in your area. Such a person can review the many relevant facts, and all possible defenses. Whether you hire a lawyer or not, it's a good idea to file an Answer by the due date given on the Summons: otherwise a default judgment will be entered against you for the amount set forth in the complaint. If you settle with the other side, be certain that an original is filed with the court.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/19/2015
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    You should not pay any more than the amount owed on your debt (plus any interest that might have accrued and be awarded). You will need to answer the complaint and consequently, you should retain legal counsel to do so within the amount of time specified on the complain (probably 20 days).
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    Consult an attorney who is familiar with this area immediately. Make sure you make all court dates. Many collection lawsuits are unprovable. Do not engage in further communications with the debt collector, as you are likely to make damaging admissions.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    There are allot of things that can cause the amount to go up, like their attorneys fees and costs. I suggest you at least consult with a bankruptcy lawyer before you do anything. Do this right away, before your time to answer the complaint expires.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: