What should I do after being sued by a collections agency? 4 Answers as of December 18, 2010

I got summons for lawsuit from collections agency, but the amount of debt was wrong. I have on recording that both the collections agency and original creditor admitting that creditor admitted she gave me a different amount, but they are not changing the amount. Should I settle if they only promise to request a pay for delete(all thread lines deleted), but do not promise it will be done? Do I still need to send an answer to the summons to the court and prepare to go to court if we settle? Do I need a lawyer? How do they decide value of car to know if it is exempt from them putting a lien on it? Should i settle at all and if so before or at court or just take my chances at court? Do I still need to ask for verification of proof they own this debt and the license to practice?

I am sorry to hear about your injury. You have a claim against the store and should consult an experienced lawyer immediately. I just concluded handling a slip and fall case against a grocery store under similar circumstances. It is important to document what happened right away. For instance, did you give your doctor a history of how you were injured? Pulling together all the facts can result in obtaining payment for your medical bills, your lost wages, and a sum for your pain and inconvenience. Do not wait!
You need to see a lawyer as son as possible.
Law Offices of Lady Justice
Law Offices of Lady Justice | Mona Patel
If you have a significant amount of unsecured(i.e. credit card debt) you may want to consider filing bankruptcy. A chapter 7 bankruptcy can eliminate a judgment that has been filed against you from a creditor. If bankruptcy isn't a route you're interested in taking then it sounds like you need to seek further legal advice for the disputed collections amount. You will want to file an answer or other form of response to the lawsuit, but again, it does sound like you need to seek further legal advice.
You might want to get verification of the amount of debt but you might want to settle or file for bankruptcy.