What should I do after being subpoenaed? 1 Answers as of April 15, 2011

April 9, 2011 I received a letter in the mail from a lawyer along with a subpoena. In 2007 I was rear ended while stopped for the vehicle in front of me to turn left. The strike forced my car into the vehicle in front of me. The people that rear ended me had no current insurance at the time. My car was totaled and my insurance company covered me I was taken care of, got a new car and it has been long forgotten until I opened this letter! The woman that I was shoved into in front of me is suing her insurance company because they will not take any responsibility for the accident. This was mailed to me regular mail not certified. It is located at a district court that is in Montgomery County Maryland which is about 83 miles from my house - I live in Pennsylvania. The date that this is to take place is May 9th 2011 at 9am. I am a college student; I have been accepted to the Radiography Program at my school. May 9th 2011 at 8am is the first day of my classes for this program. I cannot miss the first day of my new program! This is very important! Points are taken for missed classes and my attendance is required, if I miss so many days I can be removed from the program! I really feel like this has nothing to do with me. And I should not have to use an absence and have this count against me. This is a really big problem because this is my first day of class! What can I do? Do I have to go? Can I talk with someone and get out of this for my legit reason of college?

The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky
The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky | Mark Kotlarsky
Maryland subpoenas are only good in Maryland.The Court cannot force you to come.