What should I do after being in a hit and run? 1 Answers as of June 01, 2011

I was recently involved in a hit and run accident with an unattended vehicle (I was the driver). I received a ticket for a minor hit and run (less than $3000 worth of damage) and was told by the officer I had the option to try and work out paying for the damages to the car without getting insurance involved. The other party already got an AAA appraisal and is going forward with that. They are giving me two options: (1) pay cash for the damages or (2) go through the insurance co. I wanted to know if I had a right to get a second damage appraisal if I am going to pay for the damages without getting the insurance co. involved. It seems the price is a bit high, $1300, to replace the door.

You are in a weak position because of the hit and run. you can take pictures and see if you can get a lower bid then counteroffer AAA.