What should I do after being cited for breaking a local ordinance? 3 Answers as of June 03, 2011

i bought a gold ring from a customer for $125.00 while I was working in jewelry store. the customer turn out to be a local agent checking which store is buying gold, another agent came and check my background, and I didn't have any criminal records or any citations before, according to local law without precious metal license we can't buy gold, I explain him that I was buying for my wife and I also mention that to the customer also that store doesn’t buy gold and I am buying for my wife, and the cop gave me 4 local ordinance citation tickets and telling me that I could have arrested you, those tickets for not having license , permit , didn’t check the customer id and didn’t take customer finger print before buying gold. I am ready to pay the fine but I am scared because I have never been cited before and I have a family and we have been going through a lot ever since I got the ticket, do I have to go to court to pay the fine? Can I just pay through mail? Do they send me to the jail? When do I know the fine amount? It has been 7 working business days still I am calling to the recorders court to find out, they haven't put in the system, could you please suggest me what are my options? I still regret that I shouldn't have bought it and I did mistake.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Michael Moody
Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
Go to Recorders Court with an attorney. A lawyer can help save you fine money and might even be able to get the case dismissed, reduced or changed to a warning.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/3/2011
Goolsby Law Office
Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
You should consult with a criminal lawyer in your community, because sometimes local practices can vary. For instance, you should discuss with your own attorney whether or not there would be any impact on your business license, along with all your rights and options. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/1/2011
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
What do you mean going thru a lot? Are you illegally in the country (luck guess based on the grammar)? You can usually pay a fine via the mail, except where there may be some mandatory minimum jail time. I suspect that if you cannot pay thru the mail, you will not be told a fine amount, which means you need to go to court. My suggestion: hire an attorney. No one knows enough about the ordinances that you are talking about to give you a correct answer. The attorney must do some research; and I doubt that any attorneys are going to do that research for free. Good luck. feel free to check out my website.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: