What should I do after being caught with marijuana in a National Forest? 6 Answers as of February 07, 2011

I was driving through a national forest and got pulled over, the passenger had just left a dispensery and they searched the car and found more in the car. Because it is in Federal land they are Federal officers and gave me 2 tickets, one for possession of marijuana and another ticket for possession/loud exhaust that was only an infraction? They didn't explain anything to me other than I will have to go to Federal Court.

Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
You need to speak with an attorney that's familiar with the specific county your cases falls in. This means the attorney is familiar with the specific judge and prosecutor. It means a lot to have a local attorney on your side.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
What should you do? Defend the charges, or plead guilty and be immediately sentenced. The federal law does not recognize the politically correct fiction of Californias medical marijuana cards. You face federal criminal charges for drug possession, just like you see on TV cops and robbers shows. Depending upon the actual charges filed, there may be mandatory minimum prison sentences.

When arrested and charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Defend the charges. Go to court, enter a not guilty plea, set up and attend the court hearing[s] and trial date[s]. File evidence suppression or other motions as applicable. Raise all the available defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments for motions, plea-bargaining, or at trial. Go to trial if it can't be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. There is no magic wand to wave and make it all disappear. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain for you, or take it to trial. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have.
Hire an attorney to represent you in federal court on the MJ allegations. There may be proof issues related to suppression of evidence.
Get a federal defender if you don't have the funds for private counsel. FDs are GREAT. Hopefully they can plead you to the infraction and get the more serious charge dismissed. There is no Medical MJ defense in federal court.
Look into hiring an attorney to assist you with these charges.