What's the sentence for transporting drugs across state lines with intent to sell? 2 Answers as of January 24, 2012

My cousin was stopped in Michigan for DUI with an open container and driving without a license. Upon searching the vehicle, they discovered 58 pounds of marijuana. He was coming from California headed to New York with intent to sell (obviously) he was planning on catching a plane to Germany (he has family there) after he sold it for $23000. They took his passport and he is being held in county lock up in Michigan right now until his trial date or transfer to federal prison. He has a public defender. Is there any hope of him getting out or is this a likely life sentence? He has one previous DUI conviction. I can't believe he was this stupid. Our grandmother is devastated.

Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
Probably 20 year max based on what you've described. www.notafraidtowin.com. You should call your brother's lawyer. The "public defenders" in federal court tend to be amoung the best criminal defense lawyers in the State of Michigan. The federal system is very different than the state system.
Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
In MI, life without possibility of parole. Fed is 40 to life. Better be prepared to roll over asap.