What rights to I have regarding a lease that did involve a signed contract? 6 Answers as of July 21, 2011

Before we started renting the landlord told us there was weak spots in the floor an he was going to fix them before we moved in. Well he never did and a part of the floor fell in. I told him about the hole in the floor an he said that he would come fix it. A few weeks later he still yet to fix it an it was brought up again and a thin sheet of board was handed to me to nail over it. That was all that was ever done. Then my washing machine went out an i myself had to supply a new one. Then my drier went out an still have yet to get a new one. My refrigerator went out a few months ago an he could not provide a new one so i had to rent my own. The payments caught up to me and I could not afford it any more so the came an got it. Now I don't have a refrigerator or a dryer and I still have weak spots in the floor. I am scared for myself or my children who will fall through. Also the washer driyer and refrigerator all were in the house before we started renting it. None of my rent has been deducted nor any of the problems fixed. What are my rights in that situation?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
What your rights are depend upon the language in the lease regarding whose responsibility it is to fix various items. I highly suggest you contact an attorney or Legal Aid/Legal Services (free or low cost legal services) to get assistance with these issues.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 7/19/2011
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
Do you life in a Jurisdiction where a Landlord is required to register the rental with a Code Compliance Office? If so, you should not be being rent until that is done and the Code compliance Office inspects the unit to make certain it is Code Compliant. It might result in the House being red tagged forcing you to vacate the premises.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/19/2011
Palumbo and Kosofsky
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
The simple answer is move. The longer answer is that you have a breach of the implied warranty of habitability.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/19/2011
Law Office of Jared Altman
Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
Make the necessary repairs and deduct it from your rent. Keep detailed records and original receipts. Call the local building authority and ask them to come and inspect. Start looking for new space just in case.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: