What rights housing rights do I have if my husband is kicking me because I am filing for divorce? 4 Answers as of July 19, 2011

I am getting ready to file for divorce. My husband has removed my clothes from the closet and placed them in the floor. He has also placed some of my belongings on the front porch. He has given me until the end of today to move. I helped make house payments on this home. What rights do I have? We have 2 daughters and I have no place to go.

Meriwether & Tharp LLC
Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
If you have filed for divorce in Georgia, most counties have a standing order that goes into place upon request with the filing of every divorce. When the order is in place and no other temporary order, he has no greater right to the house than you do.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
You do not have to leave the house just because your husband demands it. You need to talk to an attorney about the best way to protect your rights regarding staying in the house.
He cannot evict you without an order from a divorce court. You need to get a lawyer to stop his violation of law, and to protect you and the children. In some cases, he may be the one that has to move.
We recommend that you retain a divorce attorney in your area as soon as possible. Your divorce attorney can help you as to your rights and options, including potentially seeking temporary and permanent use of the home. Again, seek legal help. Good luck.