What rights does a father have if the mother has sole custody and wants to move out of state? 6 Answers as of August 07, 2012

I am planning on moving out of state with my son. I have sole custody but receive child support payments. I want to know what rights he has in this situation.

Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
In Michigan, if you have sole legal and physical custody, you can move without his consent. An attorney could help you with this.
Law Offices of Maryanne Spryszak-Hanna PC | Maryanne Spryszak-Hanna
Do you have a job? Concrete plans for living arrangements before you go? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, you have a good chance of moving out of state.
If you truly have sole legal custody very little. I would have to review you papers.
Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. | Gary A. Russell
If you have sole legal custody, you can move your child without his consent or permission from the court. However, if you only have sole physical custody, but it is joint legal custody, then you cannot move the child more than 100 miles without the father's consent or authorization of the court.
Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
A father can object to an order to modify the divorce as to location of the child. You must a petition to move a child from the state. Moving the child without an order can considered kidnapping and most certainly contempt of court.
    Your judgment of divorce should have language to require you to get a court order allowing you to move out of state. Failure to do so could result in your being held in contempt of court and an order directing you to move back into the state.