What rights do I have here and can anything be done about this after his father walked out of the picture after I refused an abortion and now is back? 7 Answers as of February 12, 2014

My son will be 7 this April. I tried several times during the pregnancy, after his birth, and for the first 3 years of my son's life to contact this man. This past October, he finally appeared after being called into court for child support. I was hesitant to let this man just walk into my son's life as a stranger. However, his hefty amount of income allowed him to pretty much have whatever he wanted with no objections. The judge was very much in his favor. I understand fathers have their rights, but to just throw my child into this, it doesn't seem fair. He now gets him every other weekend of course; all holidays are split down the middle. The man who has helped me raise him from a baby is now pushed aside. My son's behavior is changing drastically. He acts as if he is being drilled with questions from his father; coming home not wanting to speak about anything. His teacher has even been concerned in the past weeks. I have scheduled him to start seeing a child psychologist at the end of this month, maybe it will be a proper outlet. I'm so lost.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Spear Law Firm | Bradley Howard Spear
Hate to answer a question with a question but did you make a claim for child support? Because this is what opened the door to all that has happened. Each parent does have rights and if he is the biological father and being made to pay child support to you it is reasonable for him to expect and get some visitation. The courts are always mainly concerned with the welfare of the child. Maybe a court date is in order where the Judge questions your son and his father about whats going on in the home every other weekend? Consult and attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/12/2014
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
An experienced attorney would have to review the documents filed and the orders made. The problem here stems from the fact that you or the government filed a petition or complaint alleging her was the father to get support. This potential father may have not had any paternity rights before then. The man that helped raised the child may have had some claim to legal paternity. The case would have to be evaluated about whether a modification of the visitation order is appropriate.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/11/2014
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You should have asked the court for a graduated parenting plan so the child could get to know his father at a pace he could handle. You also should have asked the court for a guardian ad litem. Obviously this didn't happen. You also don't say what you did legally to get support from the father after the child was born. Trying to contact him wasn't what's relevant. Taking legal action is. If the child psychologist indicates the child has issues with regard to the father, you can make a motion to the court to address the problem. If the man who helped you raise him had taken legal action to adopt him before the father reappeared, he probably could have done so. Now that the bio father is in the picture, it's too late. He has no rights. You can not just make private arrangements for children. You always have to involve the court in these situations. Get a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/11/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You should talk with your attorney about this. If you don't have an attorney, you should consult with one locally. But frankly, the father is not getting too much. You might have been able to argue for a break-in time so they could get used to each other, but that is now past. Make sure the bio-dad pays his share of the counseling fees.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 2/11/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
The Court will always support parenting between both parents. It is considered in the best interests of the child. However, your situation suggests that your son maybe having some adjustment problems that need attention. Taking him to a psychologist would be a wise choice.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/11/2014
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
    I think you should consider a consult. There are certain interventions that should have been put into place before jumping to weekend visits with a stranger. Your son's needs should be considered. If orders were just recently entered though there may be limits on what you can do to modify.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 2/10/2014
    Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
    If you had a guardian appointed for the child during the court proceedings, you need to contact them and make them aware of what is going on with the child.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 2/10/2014
Click to View More Answers: