What responsibilities does an F-1 visa sponsor have? 3 Answers as of September 28, 2010

Does the sponsor of an F-1 visa holder have any responsibilities towards the individual? Obviously financial support is one of them but a lot of these F-1 visa holders work illegally. But is there any way the sponsor can become in legal trouble due to the actions of the visa holder? I just want to know what I am required to do and what actions I can take if I choose to take on this responsibility.

I appreciate the question, and the fear it may reflect. Yes, your financial status will have to be confirmed when the application for F-1 visa status is made. However, the F-1 visa is based upon the ability to pay the tuition and fees for the applicants education. It is rare for an F-1 visa sponsor to be held legally responsible to pay something he ordinarily would not have to. But if you have other concerns, feel free to call or e-mail me, to set up an in-person or telephonic conference call. Thanks for your time.
V U.S.A. Law Offices
V U.S.A. Law Offices | Michael Vu
An F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa to enable a foreign student to come to the United States to study. Generally, when an F-1 student enters the US, he or she would be granted a D/S (duration of status). If he or she maintains the status of F-1, i.e. attending school as required and not violating immigration or criminal laws, he or she can remain in the US for however long it takes to complete his or her studies. If a financial sponsor completes form I-134 affidavit of support, it is generally short in duration. If the foreign student does not maintain his or her status, there should not be any financial consequences to the I-134 sponsor.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Sponsor will not be liable for F-1 students working illegally.