What recourse do I have regarding my tenant’s cat urine? 5 Answers as of February 27, 2014

My tenants have a cat but they don't take care of it. I've often been in the apartment and found no litter box and cat feces on the hardwood floor. Undoubtedly cat urine as well - the place wreaks of it. I hear it's near impossible to remove the smell of cat urine.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Evict them and use the security deposit to remedy the situation. If the security is insufficient, sue them for damages.
If they are committing waste to the apartment they have breached your lease and are subject to eviction.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
You probably have the right to evict the tenant if he/she fails to keep the premises is good condition. Most lease agreements give you specific remedies under those circumstances.
Evict them for violating the lease.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Send them a formal written 30 day notice to quit that they have breached the lease by not taking care of there pet, causing damage to the residence and not maintaining the home in a sanitary manner. Look carefully at the lease and refer to the section of the lease that they must maintain it in a sanitary manner (if you have a pet clause or a tenant responsibility clause you should try to refer to that) Then in 30 days go back and inspect if they are not taking care of their pet(s) you can evict them.