What recourse do I have if I am being falsely accused of stealing? 1 Answers as of September 28, 2011

Myself and a helper when to a home to refinish a hardwood floor. The owner was there when we arrived and we began to setup the equipment. Shortly afterward she left and told me to shut a garage door and go out the back door. We did the job left as instructed left through the back door which was unlocked when we left because we did not have the key. The next day I called the owner to see if the floor was OK and to my surprise she said the floor was good however he wedding rings are missing. I told her I did not take them and my helper was with me 95% of the time and I approached him about it and he tells me he had nothing to do with it. I do not think he took them I have no reason not to trust him. He is a good worker and always on time etc.. Regardless I can only take him at his word and he swears he did not do it. I believe she misplaced them. Perhaps while moving furniture preparing for the floor to be worked on. I don't know if there were rings to begin with. They don't seem like that type of people but you never know. Anyway they are accusing me and wanting me to pay for them. What recourse do I have?

Burdon and Merlitti
Burdon and Merlitti | Adam Van Ho
As a general rule, the homeowner would have to show that you and your worker committed the thefts. If you were following their instructions, then it would be their responsibility. If they tell people that you and/or your co-worker stole the items, you might want to talk to an attorney about a slander/libel suit.