What is the quickest way for my husband to enter the US? 13 Answers as of June 19, 2014

My husband is British and I'm a US citizen. Will the processing be quicker for him to enter the US? We have been together for 3 years and married for 9 months. He currently lives abroad and I now moved to the US. What is the quickest way?

Perez-Jenkins Law, LLC | Patricia Perez-Jenkins
Apply for him as your spouse since you are married.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
Ideally, the quickest way to be reunited with your husband is for him to enter the US on a K-3 nonimmigrant visa so that he he can bypass the lengthy processing of immigrant visas. You can accomplish that by submitting the traditional I-130 petition for your husband and then submitting a separate petition for him on form I-129F immediately after receiving a receipt for the I-130 petition. Once he enters the US with a K-3 visa, he can complete the immigrant process by applying for adjustment of status.
Law Offices of Christine Green
Law Offices of Christine Green | Christine Green
I assume that you want to petition for your husband so that he can get a green card. The two options are consular processing and adjustment of status. Since he is outside the U.S., he would consular process. Since he is an immediate relative, the entire process may take 6 to 9 months; possible even less. However there is no way to guarantee how long the process will take. Consult with an immigration attorney to guide you through the process.
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
You could petition right away. He will have to stay home while the proceedings are pending. Then, he will enter the U.S. with his permanent resident card.
Hoang & Tran PLLC | Adam Tran
If your husband in outside the U.S., he would go through consulate processing to obtain a visa as an individual married to a U.S. citizen. The time frame is about 1 year. If he is the U.S., he can go through USCIS for processing. That process can take about 1 year as well. But before you make a choice between your two options, you should consult with an attorney.
    Maria Zarakhovich | Maria Zarakhovich
    You will need to go ahead and file a family petition on his behalf. In addition, you can seek K-3 visa for him to enable him to enter the US and wait for the rest of the process to be completed here, rather than abroad.
    Have him stay where he is, out of the country, and you apply for him.
    You need to file an immigrant visa petition on his behalf. He cannot enter the U.S. with a non immigrant visa or visa waiver program with the intent to seek permanent residence.
    Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid
    Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid | Rizwan Khalid
    If he is in the US, then you may be able to file for status adjustment. That would be the quickest way. I would encourage you to see an immigration attorney. Any one of us may be able to help you.
    Law Office of Tripti Sharma | Tripti Sharma
    If he is in the U.S., he may apply to adjust status. If he is abroad, you can start immigrant petition. You may also consider applying for K-3 if the wait is long.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    It's a bit complicated. If he came to the US to visit but then changed his mind, that could work. But you would need something happening in the US that made him decide to stay during that particular trip. And he would need a round trip ticket when coming into the US. It has to look like a visit. Once here, you should wait a month or two before filing. The entire process only takes about 3 months from start to finish. You should consult with an experience immigration lawyer before making any plans.
    Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC
    Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC | Lana Kurilova Rich
    Well, there isn't really the quickest way. The best way is to file form I-130 for him, but that processing will take time. Another proper way would be a K-3 visa, but then you would have to do an adjustment of status for your husband, so the overall total cost of the process will be more and it will take longer. So do an I-130 for him. If he enters the U.S. on a visa waiver, (1) he could be denied entry if the immigration officers learn that he has a US citizen wife in the States, and (2) the intent is an issue because visa waiver program is in place only for temporary visitors who have every intention to leave the U.S. and go home.
    You petition for him and it takes about 9-12 months for him to get a visa at the US Embassy in London after that. Otherwise, he can try to enter as a visitor and you wait for about 3-4 months and then file for him within the US. I can discuss the process in more detail with you if you like to explain the issues and strategy.