What punishment will I have to face in Washington if I was just caught for stealing $50,000 from my employer? 4 Answers as of February 01, 2011

I have never had a problem with the law before , but I got caught stealing $50,000 from my employer. Since this is my first offense, what will happen to me now?

Law Office of Aaron Nielson
Law Office of Aaron Nielson | Aaron Nielson
The judge decides the sentence so no guarantee can be given about no jail or just probation. Sounds like this could be a class B Felony and the maximum for a class B felony is "confinement in a state correctional institution for a term of ten years, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of twenty thousand dollars, or by both such confinement and fine." A max penalty is not usual but you need help.

This is very serious. You need to remain silent and talk to an attorney. Your attorney will look at the facts and your history to argue for the best results they can. Call for help right away.
Law Office of Michael Brodsky
Law Office of Michael Brodsky | Michael Brodsky
Anything over $1,500.00 is considered Theft in the 1st Degree with a maximum sentence of 10 years and $20,000.. With no felony history you would have a standard range of 0-90 days. Given the high dollar amount, it is probably eligible to be labeled a "major economic crime" permitting a judge to sentence you above the standard range. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.
Ideally, you would get diversion along with the requirement you repay the money. However, every county has its own prosecutor has a great deal of discretion in charging and plea bargaining. If this is your first felony, you can be treated as a first-time offender with 0-90 days in jail. If you are addicted to drugs or alcohol, you may be eligible for drug court in the counties that offer it. I caution you not to make any statements to anyone about this other than your attorney. Whether you have spoken with the authorities or not, stop talking. As a felony prosecutor I sent many people to prison on their own confession. Apart from this, you should seek counsel whether me or another criminal attorney to help you through the tough spot you find yourself in. Please feel free to call or email me.
Karmali Law Office, PLLC
Karmali Law Office, PLLC | Hussein Karmali
Response: If your employer wants to report you, the likely charge is Theft 1, which is a felony. A good way to try and avoid criminal charges is to see if your employer is willing to forgive this if you pay the money back. If you have further questions, please contact my office.