What is punishment for selling an alcohol to a minor? 10 Answers as of December 19, 2013

My 25-year-old daughter who works in a grocery store sold an alcohol to a minor. The police agreed that she did check ID. However, she believes she entered wrong birth date in the system by accident. If you knew her, you would know that is true because she is the one who will never let a friend drive if they have been drinking and takes keys away from people, but of course, there is no way to prove it. She has a court date of January 27, 2014. What does she need to do and what can she expect to happen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
She needs to retain an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 12/19/2013
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Your daughter is likely charged with a violation of CALIFORNIA BUSNESS AND PROFESSIONS CODE - SECTION 25658 (a)Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), every person who sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished, or given away, any alcoholic beverage to any person under the age of 21 years is guilty of a misdemeanor. As a misdemeanor, the punishment is up to one year in the county jail and/or up to a $1,000.00 fine. Most likely, she would get probation and a fine less than $1,000.00. She needs an attorney or the Public Defender attorney when she goes to court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/19/2013
Jeffery M. Navarro, Attorney at Law | Jeffery M. Navarro
MCA Section 67-1-81 makes such a crime a misdemeanor. The penalty is a fine of $500-$1,000. If she has a defense, she needs to defend against the charge.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 12/19/2013
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
She needs to retain criminal defense counsel. That is the only reasonable approach to this situation.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/19/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You should give her a Christmas present of a good attorney to look into the matter and defend her is at all possible.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/19/2013
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You should hire a lawyer for her and get this relatively minor charge dismissed. By herself she's going to get a criminal record, and it isn't worth it.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/19/2013
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    She may want to at talk to a criminal attorney as it would appear that she lacked the requisite intent to be guilty of any criminal offense here. They can advise her of her options, discuss evidence or lack thereof,etc.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 12/19/2013
    Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP
    Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP | Stephen P Levine
    She most likely is charged with Sales of Alcohol to a Minor under Business and Profession Code 25658, a first offense is punishable by a fine of about 250$ plus penalty assessments and possibly some hours of community service ,it is of course a Misdemeanor, and is a criminal offense that would be on their record. The entry of the wrong birth date of course could possibly be explained to the DA to reduce the charge or work some alternative
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/19/2013
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    She needs to have a criminal defense attorney closely review the police report, to assess whether she has any defenses. If she doesn't have any valid defenses, then she needs to try and plea in such a way that, after she successfully completes a period of probation, the case is dismissed at the end.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/19/2013
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    It would be a good idea to call a few criminal defense attorneys in the area. Most of us offer free initial consultations and we can explain the process and the possible outcomes in more detail.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 12/19/2013
Click to View More Answers: