What is the punishment for knowingly providing false information to an officer? 9 Answers as of July 04, 2013

While at the beach, an officer gave me a citation for possession of controlled substances. During questioning, I provided false information, which later in the questioning I took back, providing the correct information. The officer gave me two citations, one for possession, the second for knowingly providing false information. I want to know what the punishment is for this.

Law Office of Rodney Nosratabadi
Law Office of Rodney Nosratabadi | Rodney Nosratabadi
If charged as a misdemeanor the maximum exposure in jail is 1 year. You could possibly be charged as an accessory after the fact and your exposure in jail could be much greater.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
This is a misdemeanor offense and carries a maximum punishment of one year in county jail and/or a fine.
Six months in jail. It is a misdemeanor.
Grant & Grant
Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
If charged with a misdemeanor-maximum sentence is 6 months to 1 year in county jail and a fine of $1,000 plus Court Penalty Assessments. However, in many cases, this false information. charge is dismissed or reduced to an infraction where there is another misdemeanor filed as well, similar to your matter. Also, if this is your first possession charge, an experienced defense attorney can get the possession charge dismissed upon completion of a court diversion program. It is recommended that you immediately consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney without any further delay.
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
Up to six months jail for the false information; for the possession, it depends on what you possessed.
    At least a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail. You'll learn the actual charge[s] filed against you when you appear for arraignment at your first court hearing. The prosecutor can amend at any time he feels he can prove additional or different charges. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. You can hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. He will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    What you describe is a violation of Penal Code section 148.9 and carries a possible maximum sentence of six months county jail.
    Law Office of Stephen Pearcy
    Law Office of Stephen Pearcy | Stephen Pearcy
    Just Google the code section you were cited for and that should tell you the punishment. That's how I'd find out.
    Up to 1 year in county.