What is the punishment for getting caught driving on suspension for chemical test refusal? 12 Answers as of March 11, 2014

I was pulled over while on suspension for chemical test refusal. I was pulled over because I didn’t obey a traffic sign. My suspension for chemical test refusal resulted from a DUI.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
Mandatory 10 days jail here in California.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/11/2014
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You need to hire a DUI specialist, and do it soon because you have only 10 days to save your license.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/11/2014
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
Generally the punishment for driving while suspension (DWS) for a chemical test refusal would be the same a run of the mill DUS which in the District of Columbia could be up to a year in jail. Due to the possibility of jail time for this violation you should consider consulting an attorney who is skill in traffic and/or DMV administrative litigation.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 3/11/2014
Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
In Illinois, if this is your first offense, you are looking at a minimum of either 10 days in jail or 30 days of community service.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/11/2014
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
You have big problems: You are in violation of the terms of probation for the DUI, which means that you could be given more jail time and additional fines under that case, and you have to deal with the new charges. In addition, DOL will suspend your license for a more lengthy period than it already is.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/11/2014
    Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
    Assuming this is your first driving on a suspended license you may be looking at 10 days, a fine+penalty and assessments similar to the DUI, probation and having to install the ignition interlock device. This does not include any penalty that may be imposed for violating probation in the DUI case. You might consider hiring a lawyer, sometimes these cases can be won or reduced to lesser offenses.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/11/2014
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    No mandatory sentence, depends on the Judge.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/10/2014
    Robert S. Evans ESQ | Robert S. Evans ESQ
    Depending upon the charge ,the punishment could be jail,probation or a fine. That is if the charged offense is a misdemeanor. If you have prior similar offenses the charges can be raised and the punishment more severe.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/10/2014
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    The punishment in MN varies between a misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor based on how many dui's you have had in the past. You should contact an attorney in your area asap.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 3/10/2014
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    Jail. 7-10 days.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 3/10/2014
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    If you were suspended at that time and written up for a Driving While Suspended charge, the range of punishment for that (if it's a State charge) is up to $1000 fine and up to 1 year in jail. Lesser penalties would apply if it were a County or Municipal charge. There are potentially other penalties that may apply for instance if you are still on probation for the DUI. If so....a probation violation could be issued and you could serve penalties related to violating that DUI probation.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 3/10/2014
    Matthew Weiss | Matthew Weiss
    You are likely being charged with aggravated unlicensed. Because aggravated un-licensed is a criminal offense (misdemeanor), and can adversely affect your insurance rates, we strongly encourage you to fight this ticket. Further, given its seriousness, you should consult with (if not hire) an experienced traffic lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/10/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!