What is the punishment for first time shoplifting? 7 Answers as of July 31, 2013

My wife is charged with a case of shoplifting and she is given a date in court. All this incident occurred by mistake and this is her first time in any kind of case. What can be the punishment for this and what is the severity level (Larceny 5th level)?

Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Usually diversion.
Depending on the amount allegedly stolen and the jurisdiction where the event occurred, shoplifting can be met with a mere citation (infraction), or charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, with possible jail sentences of 6 months to 3 years. It will be up to the D.A. to determine how the crime will be charged. I suggest that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you and get you the best deal possible.
In Washington, your wife committed a gross misdemeanor which has a penalty range of 364 days in jail and $5,000. As a first time offender, she will likely be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations, and be on probation for one year. She will also have to pay a civil fine. There are several things to do to keep it off her criminal record.
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
In Missouri, the maximum penalty for misdemeanor (under $500) shoplifting is 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000. If she hires an attorney to represent her, the attorney can probably get the shoplifting charge reduced to a lesser offense, such as "Littering." Your wife will have to pay a fine and court costs, but she probably won't have to appear in court. Call around and get price quotes from attorneys, but I would imagine you can find someone to represent her for around $500.
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
    She is looking at a fine, court costs and fees. Doubt she would get jail.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    In MA, 1st offense shoplifting is punishable by no more than a fine as the maximum penalty. However, it is the collateral consequences of having a conviction on your record for stealing that will cause you far more difficulties than the court's consequences. You should do all that you can to avoid a conviction. In MA there is no such thing as a 5th level larceny so I assume your wife's charge is from a state other than MA. Therefore, nothing that you get from a MA attorney is of any value since the actual state's laws may be quite different. Try to speak to an attorney in the state where she was charged.