What punishment can I expect from a loitering for prostitution charge in California? 12 Answers as of January 11, 2011

I received a citation (no arrest) for loitering for prostitution charge. I need to appear in court shortly. I plan to plead No Contest or Guilty. I have no priors of any type. What can I expect punishment wise as a first time offender? It is a misdemeanor charge in California?

It would be a misdemeanor. I would not rush to plead guilty. make sure you plead guilty you consult with an attorney. There may be defenses you are not aware of. Please understand that a citation is an arrest. Just because you were not taken into custody does not mean you were not arrested. Talk to a criminal defense attorney before you appear in court. A no contest plea only matters if you can be sued civilly for the same conduct. in this case you cannot be so there is not need for a no contest plea.
Depends upon the attitude towards those charges in that court and DA office, the facts, evidence, your rap sheet, etc. Any misdemeanor carries up to a year in jail and fines. If you plead guilty or no contest, you simply let the judge sentence you under the penal code for that charge.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
There is a wide range of punishments that can result from a loitering from prostitution charge in CA. This includes everything from county jail, probation, Cal-Trans and fines. When facing criminal charges such as these you should see an attorney about representation.

Feel free to call my office any time with questions regarding your matter.
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
That depends on the county, judge, particular policies within that specific district attorney's office, your age, what you are doing with your life, and your attorney. I would need more facts to fully advise you on your rights and potential sentence. One thing to be aware of is the HIV Testing that the court will most likely order.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
Probation. Maybe a small fine. No jail. You will probably get the public defender and they can tell you for sure. No need to hire a lawyer. What county was this in. Call for more info.
    Loitering for prostitution in CA is a misdemeanor. You can expect 90 day suspended sentence, three years summery probation, fine, HIV test and stay away order.
    Yes, it is a misdemeanor, and the max is 1 year in county jail. Consider hiring a defense attorney to help you fight the case. Prostitution cases aren't so easy to prove, provided that you actually fight it.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    What you are describing is a misd. violation of CA Penal Code 653.22. The code calls for a maximum term of 6 months in County Jail. With no priors it would not be uncommon, following a no contest plea, to be placed on probation and be ordered to stay away from the location where you were cited. You state you have no criminal record, yet you wish to appear and plead no contest. Why take such action and accept a criminal record? You have no duty to convict yourself. At the very least seek out counsel for a brief consultation on the relevant facts of the case.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    This will most likely be charged as a misdemeanor and you will be required to do aids testing, community service, possibly an aids class. It varies county to county and the charged can get better with an attorney.