What is the process to remove a warrant for old traffic tickets in Michigan? 5 Answers as of August 31, 2011

Can I get rid of the warrant so I can get a drivers license in Michigan? I was living in New York for 14 years for work. I had some traffic tickets that I did not take care of before I left for work. I didn’t have a problem with the tickets the entire time I was there, but when I got here, the warrants just showed up. What do I do now?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
You are not going to be able to get rid of them without taking care of them. At the very least you will have to pay them. You may have to turn yourself in and be arraigned if there is a criminal warrant out for your arrest. Contact an experienced criminal attorney who can help guide you through the process.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/31/2011
Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
You have to appear in court, be prepared to pay for the tickets and once you do, you will also have to pay to have warrants cancelled. After making payments, then you are entitled to a clearance cardwhich you must have in order to present to the secretary of state in order to verify that your old cases have been cleared before becoming eligible to re-new or reapply for a license. Sound complicated? It can be. You might want to consider hiring a well trained & experienced traffic defense attorneythat won't lower your court fines & costs which are a foregone issue you have no choice nowbut might help smooth the path going forward.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/1/2011
Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law
Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law | Thomas J. Tomko
If the traffic tickets are payable tickets (non-misdemeanor), then you can simply pay the fine and the late fees. (Also a reinstatement fee, if applicable). However, if your tickets are misdemeanor traffic offenses, then you need to either appear in Court or, depending on the Court, a plea by mail could be arranged. Where warrants are issued, the offenses are usually misdemeanor traffic offenses. Most of these misdemeanors, (with the exception of offenses Operating While Intoxicated or Impaired) could be ones that are resolved by a plea by mail. In the event that a misdemeanor traffic matter cannot be cleared up thoguth a plea by mail, it will be necessary for your to appear in the court(s) where the offenses occurred. If your matters are in the Detroit Metro area, you can contact my office to discuss fees and arranging to resolve your matters.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/30/2011
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
Such a process involves an attorney. Allow me to answer any additional questions you may have on this matter at my phone number below. I have over 30 years of experience in this area of the law and would be happy to speak with you.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/29/2011
Law Office of Gary Lazar
Law Office of Gary Lazar | Gary Lazar
Contact each court and ask them what you have to do to clear up the warrants. Since the tickets are so old, it COULD be just a matter of paying fines. Because there is an outstanding warrant(s), at least one of the tickets was a misdemeanor and you might still be required to appear in court. (If they were civil infractions that you didn't resolve, they would not issue a warrant. They would suspend your license.) If that is that case, I would strongly recommend that you hire an attorney to represent you in all of your outstanding cases. Even if the courts are telling you that you need to appear in person, the right lawyer may be able to work something out with them so you can just pay a fine. Regardless of how that matter(s) have to be cleared up, you would almost assuredly get you a much better resolution with an attorney than you could have worked out on your own.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: