What is the process to petition for my fiance? 11 Answers as of August 25, 2011

I'm trying to petition my fiance from the Philippines. I would like to know the process, what we need to do, and how long would it take for her to be able to come to the United States.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
Dear Sir: If you are a U.S. citizen you may petition for your fianc either through a fianc visa or if you marry her you can bring her over as a resident. The times are about 7 to 9 months and 10 to 12 months respectively.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/25/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
There are several steps to the process and if all goes well it should take about 7-12 months. You must show you have had at least one face-to-face meeting within the last two years and that you are free to marry and will get married within 90 days after she enters the U.S. The consulates are tough on these cases and will want to be satisfied that this is a legitimate relationship and not just you assisting her to get to the States so lots of documentation of your ongoing relationship is critical - phone bills, emails, cards to each other, copy of your passport stamps for visits, boarding passes, etc.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/24/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
If you have already seen your fiance in person within the last 2 years, you may apply for fiance visa. It usually takes between 4-8 months.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/17/2011
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
It's always smart to get a second opinion. Here is a modified copy of my wishlist to clients when I get hired for $1,300 to handle a Filipina fiance case. Depending on the case, some lines are crossed out or not: 1. Four passport style photos two of you and two of your fiancee; 2. Filing fee USPS money order or personal check ($340) payable to Department of Homeland Security or DHS; 3. Payment to Tom Youngjohn in the amount of $650 [I take half to start]; 4. Certified Copies of any divorce decree(s) and/or Death Certificates with translations; 5. Copy of US citizen (USCs) birth certificate; 6. Copy of USCs Naturalization Certificate; 7. Copy of the identity and Philippine stamped pages of USCs current US passport; 8. Copy of aliens current passport (ID page and stamped pages & any I-94s); 9. 50+ pages of email correspondence, in chronological order; 10. 30+ pages of Internet web/chat screen prints; 11. IRS transcripts, which cover the USCs taxes for past three tax years. To obtain a transcript you can call 1-800-829-1040 and request a transcript by the automated system. Select the following options: Option 2 (Personal Tax Account; Option 2 (Personal Tax Account; Enter your taxpayer ID number (probably your Social Security number); Option 1 (Transcripts); Enter the Numbers in your street address; Enter the year of the Return you are requesting; 12. Copies of USCs tax returns with W-2s for 2010, 2009, & 2008; 13. Proof of amounts of all Social Security and VA benefits; 14. Job verification letter stating the date USC started employment, your title, your wages/salary, on company letterhead, or copy of employment contract; 15. Bank Letter (see attached); 16. Copy of aliens Translated Canadian Long Form birth certificate; 17. Twenty to thirty photos of you and the alien together (and you and her family) (you wont get these back); 18. Copies of any phone bills; 19. All information still required to complete the aliens G-325A;
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/15/2011
Law Office of Jaclyn Miller
Law Office of Jaclyn Miller | Jaclyn Miller
It is taking about 6-7 months for Fiancee visas.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/12/2011
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
    File fiance visa inside the U.S. and once approved file at the consulate. Roughly takes 2-10 months Petitioner must be a U.S. citizen.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/12/2011
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    You file an application, prove that you have income over the poverty level of the US for a family of 2 (assuming you have no kids), and that's pretty much it. Every consulate is different. In Europe it takes about 3 to 12 months, in China, by contrast, can take up to 2 years. You need to file a I-129F first, to the USCIS that's in your area. Once your application is approved, then they will notify the consulate in the Philippines. After that your fiance can apply for the K-1 visa there, then you can bring her over. You have to get married 90 days after she enters the US or she will have to leave the US. After that you can petition to adjust her status for her to receive her green card.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/12/2011
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    To petition for your fiance, you will need to file a K-1 fianc visa with supporting evidence. This evidence is everything from documents regarding identity to evidence of a bona fide relationship. The processing time is approximately 6-8 months, but this varies depending upon whether you are requested to submit additional evidence or need to correct applications. The case is first processed by USCIS and upon approval goes to the National Visa Center for processing of the visa. The case is then forwarded to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate for interview. If approved, your fiance will receive a visa within a month. After your spouse enters the U.S., you must get married within 90 days. If you do not marry within the 90 days, your fiance must return to the Philippines or risk being deported. After the marriage, you and your spouse will proceed to obtain lawful permanent resident status.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/11/2011
    Fong & Associates
    Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
    You have to have met physically in the previous two years and be engaged. If you are, then you file the I-129F with the USCIS and with the approval of that, your fiance applies for the K-1 visa at her home consulate. It is taking about 6 months for approvals.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 8/11/2011
    Law Office of Christine Troy
    Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
    Congratulations on your engagement. If you would like to discuss the process and analyze your case in detail, please contact me for an initial consult. That takes about one hour and is $150. The sponsoring petitioner files the petition with DHS and requests consular processing for the foreign fiancee. DHS forwards the petition to the National Visa Center for security checks and other processing.The NVC forwards the petition to the U.S. Consulate in the spouses home country.The fiancee goes to interview and is processed for a fiance visa upon entry to the United States. Processing depends upon how organized you are, the consulate and other actions. 8-12 months is approximate.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/12/2011
    Hugo Florido ESQ.
    Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
    You must file a petition with the USCIS along with evidence of the relationship. You must have visited your finance at least once in the last 2 years. You must demonstrate that she will not be a public charge and that she doesn't have a contagious disease. The process takes about 6-9 months from beginning to the end. Our office can assist you should you desire.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: