What is the process to marry a non US citizen? 8 Answers as of August 23, 2011

I’m a US citizen wanting to marry a non us citizen. What’s the procedure please to getting married? Also how much? How long will the process of paper work take? Can he get a social security after we get married? Can he go back home after we get married and return? He has a visitor’s visa; does he have to change his visa status? How long will that take? He has six months in the country when we get married can he stay over the six months even though were married? Or would he have to return home? I really need these questions to be asked before we do anything.

You may petition for him and he may apply for permanent residency. In 90 days he will get his employment authorization and 4-10 months a permanent resident. He should not leave the country while the case is pending unless you apply for a special travel document. For a smoother process, hire a good immigration attorney
If you fiance is the US with a tourist visa, you can get married in the US without any problem and you both have to decide where your husband is going to be after getting married. You can petition him with USCIS but he has to be in the US or in his Country while the process is pending. If he stays in the US you have to file for him within the six month of his I-94 authorization and the process will take around 6-8 months. If he goes back to his Country, the process is longer, it can takes up 14 months for him to get the green card. If he stays in the US and you file for him, in the next three months, he can get a work permit and therefore a social security number.
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
After you get married, he can file for an adjustment of status since he entered with a visa. The process is taking about 4 to 5 months. He would not have to return to his country to obtain a visa.
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices | Hans Burgos
Once you both get married, you will be able to file a Petition for Relative (Form I-130); and your spouse file an Application for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485 without him having to depart from the United States. Upon filing these applications, it will take the CIS approximately 90 days to issue a work permit to him (allowing him then to obtain a SS card). And approximately 6 months from the date of filing, you both will be interviewed by a CIS examiner to verify that the marriage is bona fide. You and your husband will have the burden to establish that you entered into marriage not for the sole purpose of conferring him an immigration benefit.
Each state has different requirements for marriage. After you get married, you can file the relative petition for him and he files for an adjustment of status to permanent resident. If he needs to travel internationally, he needs to wait to get the travel authorization, called an advance parole. It takes about 90 days. It is taking about 5-6 months to get to the USCIS interview.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    He can apply for permanent residence right away after you got married. The marriage alone will not give him immigration status. He must file an application for adjustment of status in conjunction with a visa petition by you. It does not matter if he has no status at the time of filing. You seem very anxious about the process and should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to get detailed information about the entire process. This is not a forum for it.
    Kazmi & Sakata
    Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
    Hello and yes he can file to Adjust his status. He can stay passed his I-94 date as long as the case gets filed prior to the expiration. The filing costs to the government can be up to $ 1,500. He will need a medical exam, photographs, etc. Typically, it can take about 5 months, but depends on where you two live. He will qualify for a work permit and then a Social Security Number about 3 months after the filing.
    You file papers in U.S. You will get work authorization after 90 days of filing petition. You will get conditional green card roughly 4-6 months after filing petition.