What is the process if I'm going to tape record a prisoner for potential sentencing changes? 2 Answers as of October 07, 2014

A convict in a Michigan prison wants me to record their conversation with a tape recorder. This person wants me to record their life history so I can submit this tape to the sheriff. The prisoner wants to reveal their history of mental illness that wasn't revealed in court before. What is the best way to handle this problem? If the prisoner called me wouldn't the prison automatically tape record our conversation like they were in jail? Or, do I have to get a court order for a deposition?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
If you are talking over the phone and both parties know that you are recording the conversation, then it is not illegal.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/7/2014
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
It all depends on the legal issue. Are you an attorney. At what stage is the sentencing changes. What issues at hand for those changes. Cannot give blanket answer without more facts.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/6/2014
Click to View More Answers: