What is the procedure for requesting an extension on an eviction notice from my landlord? 7 Answers as of July 11, 2013

I received an eviction notice and today is the 30th day of the notice, but I need more time. How do I get an extension and how do I address this with an unfriendly landlord?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
You basically have an automatic extension. If you do not move landlord has to file a lawsuit against you. You have 5 days after service to respond. The court will set a trial date within 30 days. If you lose the lawsuit the sheriff will generally take 2-3 weeks to physically evict you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/30/2011
Palumbo and Kosofsky
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
You need to retain counsel to represent you in the proceeding. Give us a call to discuss retention of our office.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/30/2011
The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
If you have received a 30-day notice and not paid the full amount due within 30 days, the landlord has the right to file an eviction action. Once that is filed, you may appear before the judge on the appointed court date to request more time but that would be solely up to the judge's discretion.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/30/2011
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
After the 30 day notice to terminate, if you have not moved, then the landlord must file an action in District Court to get a judgment of possession which he must serve you with. At the trial, assuming the Judge grants your landlord a judgment, you will then have 10 more days to move and if you fail to do so, then the landlord can forcefully evict you on the 11th day.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/30/2011
Law Office of Jared Altman
Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
You cannot force the landlord to give you an extension. You may be able to negotiate one. But, he will probably want to be paid for it. An eviction proceeding can take some time. You won't be out on the street right away. There's notice, court, adjourned to hire a lawyer, new court date, trial or inquest, judgment, warrant, 72 hour notice left to go. That could easily take a few weeks.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/30/2011
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    Did you already have a court hearing in which you were ordered to vacate the premises by a judge? That would be a place to obtain an extension.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 7/11/2013
Click to View More Answers: