What is the procedure for re-entry after a 10-year ban? 2 Answers as of June 22, 2011

My older sister was convicted of a felony for cocaine less than a gram and was given a 10-year ban. I was told that she could come back before the ten yr ban. Is this true and how can I go about this? She has a citizen child and my mother is also a citizen...what are the procedures into getting her back into the US before the ten yr ban? Please help!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
In a nutshell, you will have to file form I-130 (rather someone else will have to file one for you) and wait for it to be approved and sent to the NVC. The National visa center will contact you or the sponsor for processing when it's time. Once all the documents are submitted and all other applications received, they will schedule a visa interview. After the interview, the Consular Officer will advise you whether you are eligible for a waiver. If she says you do, then you will have to file Form I-212 with supporting documents when and where she tells you. The waiver part will be the most important part of all. Without it, you will not be allowed back. Now, I am making it sound easy but it is not. This is only designed to give you an idea of how things may go. Please consult competent counsel if this is an important matter to you. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/22/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You need to schedule an appointment with a competent immigration attorney who specializes in criminal and removal aspects. I don't believe there is a waiver for felony cocaine possession so her options may be none or limited.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: